Vista and scan and fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and scan and fix

Is there anyway to disable the Vista 'Scan and Fix' 'feature' everytime one sticks ina thumbdrive or an iPod?

Re: Vista and scan and fix

and if you safely remove the hardware?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Get out of here! That's why? XP never did that.

Comment

I think that's the problem.
        Well give it a try.. maybe it works
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Actually that dosen't work. If I were to use the "scan and Fix" option, it'll repair something on my thumbdrive but not my iPod.

Comment

Wait, are you saying that using 'safely remove hardware' is not working, that you still get 'scan and fix' prompts when inserting devices, or are you saying that 'scan and fix' itself does not work?
            sigpic

Comment

I'm saying that 'scan and fix' does not work on the ipod.

Comment

Hmmm - Once Vista thinks the drive needs scanning, it may well end up that every time you insert that device Vista will ask for it to be scanned....

In the meantime, have you tried removing the devices through the Safely Remove Hardware interface?
                sigpic

Comment

Yes I have tried and it dosen't matter. Also that's not practical with an Ipod. Besides I never had to do that with XP. Am I the only one experiencing this annoying problem?

Comment

I experience it whenever I unplug my UFD from my computer without using the Safely remove - but remember, XP didn't have ReadyBoost technology either. It makes sense that you didn't have to do this in XP - the safely remove hardware there was more of a joke than anything....

In Vista, it gets downright serious. SRH won't let you out if handles are open on the USB device - even if it is a simple explorer window showing the file contents. And it makes sense that M$ implemented this sort of 'checking' because, among other things, the ReadyBoost technology that it also included. It would not do your system good to have a device attached that was contributing to system resources via ReadyBoost, and then have you all of a sudden yank the device out - obviously, you *can* do it - but it is not recommended anymore.

It is not a long or tiresome process, either. Left click on the system tray icon and a tooltip balloon pops up listing your removable devices - click on the right device and within a second or two you can remove it.

If I were you I'd get used to using the interface now to avoid problems later on down the line.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to disable the Scan and Fix right now, and since it is not working on the iPod, I think that now that you have been removing them without the SRH interface you may be stuck with that fix dialog.

Something off the wall that you can *try* - plug the iPod to an XP machine, and then use Safely Remove - and then bring it back to Vista and see if you still get the dialog.

And if this *does* fix it, from now on *Use SRH!*
                    Last edited by johnlgalt; 6th January 2008, 05:30. Reason: Aded last two lines
                    sigpic

Comment

johnlgalt:
                      Thank you. You make excellent points.

Comment

Working...
                      X