Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't install ssl vpn on vista home premium

hello

I'm using a vista home premium system.I am trying to install ssl-vpn from fortinet
    and vista prompts me saying that i have to be an administrator to do that.I am using administrator rights but nothing happens.I tryied to change security iems on my ie7 without success. I did get installing sslvpn from check point.
    Any ideas?
    thanks

natan

Re: can't install ssl vpn on vista home premium

Try disabling UAC (User Account Control) so that the installer can install without being confounded by Vista's UAC system. See the User Accounts control panel.

Comment

Or, conversely, you can try running the installer with admin privileges - right click installer and select Run as Administrator
      sigpic

Comment

Hi

When i rigth click on my mouse i can't get the"run as administrator" option.

Uac-I tryied both-on and off.Nothing changes..

Comment

Hmmm. A couple of workarounds:

1) Try holding [SHIFT] + [CTRL] when clicking the shortcut to get admin privileges. If that doesn't work....

2) Run cmd prompt as admin (right click on cmd and select Run as Administrator *OR* find cmd in your start menu, and hold [CTRL] + [SHIFT] while clicking on cmd to run as administrator). Now, navigate to the folder where the program installation is and then run the installer *from the cmd window* (e.g. if it is called foo.exe and is located in C:\users\YourLoginName\Downloads, then type
          Code:
          c:
          cd c:\users\YourLoginName\Downloads
          foo
          and hit [ENTER]).

The theory here is that the installer will inherit its privileges from the cmd prompt, which is running as admin (this is usually the case with other programs that I run, for example my file manager, xplorer2 - if I run it with admin privileges, then if I run another program from inside xplorer2, it too has admin privileges).

Yes, I just verified this by running cmd with admin privileges, and then running iexplore from inside the cmd prompt.

If you are still unable to get administrative privileges, then you may need to figure out why your account is not allowing you to have such privileges. 2 alternatives for Vista that work well are Start++, a start menu enhancer that includes the *nix command sudo, which is used to elevate privileges for anything, and SudoWin - a Win32 build of the *nix sudo command all by itself.

HTH
          Last edited by johnlgalt; 22nd December 2007, 21:07.
          sigpic

Comment

Hello
            First of all,thank you all for trying to help but for now,nothing really helped.
            It's unbeliavable how complicate is is to deal with that simple issue.I spent so many hours trying to do find a way to solve it but till now,nothing.Look the message i get:Click image for larger version

Name:	ssl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	463416.I tryied every solution you have sugested
            in that forum but no one helped.Why can't i see the command secpol.msc in my vista version.And why can't i see an administrator account even after activating it
            by net user administrator password command?

Any new idea?

Comment

Well,Well,Well

I finally got it.Using iexplore with "run as administrator" i can install my ssl vpn client.Now i have another problem but i think i can deal with it.
              A special thanks to John for the help.

Natan

Comment

lol good for you! Glad the inherited permissions trick worked.
                sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression that Fortinet SSL VPN does not support Vista other than the naff 'Web' functionality. The proper SSL tunnelling only works on XP machines due to problems with the plug-in the browser tries to install (virtual adapter etc).

Let me know if you got this working under Vista.. as it would be of great benefit to me!

Rich

Comment

Richy,

My guess would be to use the run as Admin trick (since he had to get *IE* running as admin, you m might be able to save a step and just run IE directly as admin) and then set up the client and then just make sure the client runs with XP compatibility mode?

Just a guess, mind you - but it might (theoretically) work as long as there are no crazy low level hooks into the system that Vista will not allow...if so, then you might also need to run the client with elevated privileges every time you run it....
                    sigpic

Comment

FGOS 3.0 660 MR6 officially supports vista as an OS.

If you have a valid support contract you should be able to download the firmware, upgrade, install and connect.

Please read the release notes, they have totally changed the way SSL VPNs are set up on the FGOS boxes and the upgrade will most likely totaly break your existing SSL VPN access.

If you have any issues getting connected go to the SSL VPN page (after hitting the link for "activate ssl tunnel mode") and select uninstall. You generally can then reinstall the ActiveX controls without a reboot and get up and running.

Good news is they added AD auth for SSL VPN users via their FSAE agent so you don't have to play around as much to get it working with an existing set of user accounts.

Regards,
                      gp

Comment

Working...
                      X