Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Screen and Access Control

Hi,

I am Using a Dell Laptop XPS M1210 and installed Win Vista myself. Here I face 2 problems.

Some times when I do Voice chat either by skype or yahoo.. My System automatically goes to memory dump (Blue Screen) and restarts again. Why does that happen? is it a known Issue? Is there a fix for the Issue?

Now the second Issue is I have installed real player in the same laptop and while i play real player songs or movies which are already downloaded, they work fine. But if I try to play some songs from web where it asks to install some addons for realplayer. If I try to install those automatically it popsout with an error message that you are not an administrator and you dont have proper privilages to do that though I am logged in as an administrator.
    Why does that happen.

My questions might seem silly. but still need to findout the solution for these issues as I am getting very disturbed with this.

Thanks in advance.
    ----------------
    Regards,

Mohan Senapathy
    MCP, M.Sc(Information Technology), M.Sc(Computing Science), B.Sc(Electronics)

Re: Blue Screen and Access Control

As to your first problem, hard to answer without first ascertaining that you have all the latest drivers for your sound card - not necessarily Vista native drivers, but the latest drivers from the manufacturer of your sound card (and alternately, if you *do* have those drivers, have you tried rolling those drivers back to native Vista drivers, if such exist)? Also, any particular thing that is going on that you can tell when the BSODs occur? Anything listed in event log that corresponds to the seemingly random BSODs that are occurring?

As to your second problem, you haven' read much about Vista - You can log in as administrator all you want, but you will never have full admin privileges to your system as you did with XP - it is one of the new safety features of Vista. 2 particular actions that will always require (on a normal Vista system) elevated privileges are a) writing to the registry, and b) writing to %ProgramFiles%. IOW, when installing a program almost every time you will need elevated privileges (the almost caveat coming from when you get a program that does not install to %ProgramFiles% and does not make use of the registry).

Also, notice I said 'normal' Vista system - there are ways of disabling the UAC system, which I personally do **NOT** recommend because it is a decent added layer of security on your machine, as well as taking ownership of the %ProgramFiles% (if you don't disable UAC) could probably help - this can also have some unforeseen consequences, though, and I do not recommend it either.

If you continue to have problems, one thing you could try is to run RealPlayer *itself* as admin - that will grant anything that it tries to do (such as installing 'add0ons') admin privileges as well - but only for that particular instance of Real Player. 2 known ways are to use the start menu to find the Real Player icon from Programs and then to highlight it, and press [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [ENTER] to run it with elevated privileges, or to right click the shortcut and you should see a context menu item that says "Run as Administrator" (these are not the *only* 2 ways to do this, just the two most convenient ways on a normal Vista system).

I would start out by doing some serious reading on Vista and UAC in particular before too long so you can be a lot more familiar with the process(es) and next time be expecting any potential problems that you may encounter down the road.

HTH
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help.. I appreciate that..
      ----------------
      Regards,

Mohan Senapathy
      MCP, M.Sc(Information Technology), M.Sc(Computing Science), B.Sc(Electronics)

Comment

NP.

Hope you had a good Diwali as well - from a Bharati bhai in America.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X