Vista connecting to a Win2K3 PPTP VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista connecting to a Win2K3 PPTP VPN

I have setup a PPTP VPN in the office (Routing and Remote Access) and it all works peachy from XP Clients. However my home PC is Vista Ultimate and it refuses to work.

I've read the MS KB but it doesn't find the problem I am having. It mentions that you need to have MS-CHAP V2 enabled on the Win2K3 server and from what I have checked this is enabled by default.

CoID={9628B2A0-B6E4-45EC-8B8B-79A5F6331EEF}: The user XV5\apalmer dialed a connection named Office VPN which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 691.
    CoID={229BAA5A-82F4-4314-AAC8-AD25D2E3CA22}: The user XV5\apalmer dialed a connection named Office VPN which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 0.
    CoID={1F812E13-0D62-4EBE-AF82-36B3D87BC9D9}: The user XV5\apalmer dialed a connection named Office VPN which has terminated. The reason code returned on termination is 828.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Vista connecting to a Win2K3 PPTP VPN

I am doing the same thing and it works fine for me using Vista from home.

On my W2K3 server I have both MS-CHAP v2 and MS-CHAP enabled. This was by default. EAP is also enabled.

on the client machine (Vista) VPN connection properties:
    under security tab, I have Typical
    and
    Verify my identity as follows: Require Secured Password
    and
    Require data encryption (disconnect if none) checked

On Networking tab, I have type of VPN set as automatic.

Also keep in mind that PPTP is not the best choice for security.

Comment

I have the same settings on the client, but still cannot connect.
      I will have to check the server, from memory though everything should be default.

I know PPTP is less secure than IPSEC but its enough for general roaming users to pick up their Exchange mail and work on Word documents no?

*Edit*

Checked the server and its also using EAP. The connecting PC isn't part of the domain, this shouldn't be an issue though surly?
      Last edited by ]SK[; 19th December 2007, 11:12.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Earlier versions of PPTP where quite easy to hack.
        PPTP will do fine for roaming users.

For Site-to-Site is IPSEC the better (and only) option because that the tunnel is permanent.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

My Vista box at home is not a domain member, so that should not be the problem. What about firewall at your home end of the connection? I had some problems connecting with AVG firewall active. disable the firewall and it connected right up.

@dumber:thanks for the input
          I have 3 users, including myself, that are allowed VPN access, I have been using PPTP and was a little worried about security issues. Now I'll sleep a little better at night.

Comment

Working...
          X