UAC doesn't prompt, app does not start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAC doesn't prompt, app does not start

I've run into an issue with User Account Control in Windows Vista that I have not seen addressed anywhere. My problem is that when I run an application such as regedit.exe that would normally result in a UAC elevation prompt, nothing happens: no prompt and no application startup. It's like the command just gets lost. The result is that I can only run regedit by right-clicking and choosing "Run as administrator".

This might not seem like a big issue, except that this prevents running apps like regedit from the command line. There are also other instances where this becomes a bigger problem. For example, in the "System" page, accessible from the control panel, clicking the "Remote Settings", "System Protection", or "Advanced system settings" items does nothing. Normally these links will produce an elevation prompt followed by the traditional "System Properties".

If anyone has some insight into this problem, help would be much appreciated.

I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate with UAC enabled with default settings. I am also running MS Office 2007 Pro Plus and a variety of other applications. The problem behavior did not seem to coincide with the installation of any particular application.

Re: UAC doesn't prompt, app does not start

Try temporarily disabling UAC and seeing if the apps work - then re-enable it.

Also, make sure the system doesn't think your user account isn't an administrator account anymore. If need be, create a new test account and (with UAC enabled and at default) see if that account has any issues as well.

I helped a user who had this issue with a couple of programs only, something during the installation of those programs got hosed - but haven't seen it system wide yet, so these suggestions are mere stabs in the dark.
    sigpic

Comment

When I disable UAC, everything seems to work fine.

I also tried creating a test admin account and the problem is still exhibited in this account. Standard user accounts also exhibit the problem in certain instances. Regedit will run, but only in user mode. In the "System" page, accessible from the control panel, the "Remote Settings", "System Protection", and "Advanced system settings" items still do nothing. I believe they should produce an elevation prompt.

Another thing I noticed is that the problem is not exhibited immediately after the computer is started. If I log on at the first opportunity and immediately attempt to run one of the affected apps, it displays the elevation prompt as it should. However, if I wait too long to log on the problem is there immediately.

Based on this behavior, my hunch is that there is a process which prevents the elevation prompts from being displayed.

I went through the autoruns and disabled anything related to software that I've installed. This includes things like VMWare's services, Ultramon, Acrobat's tray app, etc. This did not have any effect on the problem.

Comment

I discovered the cause of this problem. Our office uses a print tracking solution called Print Audit. The Print Audit 4 tracking client is not compatible with Windows Vista UAC.

Comment

gotta love legacy apps.

Any word on whether the developer (assuming they are still around) are looking to fix that problem?
          sigpic

Comment

Print Audit has a newer version which I believe supports Vista. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a hassle upgrading, as it uses a new database format. I guess we'll finally have to tackle that beast.

Comment

Enjoy that beast of a job. I suppose that running it with admin privileges / XP / 2000 compatibility doesn't help either, eh?

Ah, well. The joy of using Vista. I have run into a few issues myself with incompatible software, but not yet in a business environment....
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X