Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore without Restore Discs?

Hey friends!
    My question is how can I install Windows on my Compaq laptop without restore discs? I mean I do not want to delete partitions, data. The restore discs will delete them. I want to know can I install from Vista Disc & use my key? If yes from where can I obtain the Vista Installation Disc?

Re: Restore without Restore Disc's?

Let's break down your wants...ok.

Q= My question is how can I install Windows on my Compaq laptop without restore disc's?
    A= If you mean Vista, you can't. Call (HP) and demand the Vista DVD, doubt this will happen but it's worth a try.

Q= I mean I do not want to delete partitions, data. The restore disc's will delete them.
    A= Well "Yes", thats what the restore disk is supposed to do --- is to take you back to day one.
    You must mean, you want to install over the top to refresh the OS but save data!! If so, (Yes) there is a way (like XP) but that needs to be addressed later if needed.

Q= I want to know can I install from Vista Disc & use my key?
    A= Some what confused about your question... as to what you mean exactly.

Q= If yes from where can I obtain the Vista Installation Disc?
    A= From Compaq (HP) or any place that sells Microsoft.

As a suggestion, get a Vista DVD, because there is a lot of repair methods that are only available using the that media.
    Later!!
    Jay

"" As Soon As Apocalypse Comes, IM me ""

Comment

Re: Restore without Restore Discs?

Keep in mind that the VISTA OS KEY that came with the computer will NOT work with RETAIL copies of VISTA, that is to say, VISTA that is bought from a store. The key will not work with other OEM's copies of VISTA either.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Restore without Restore Disc's?

I mean I want to clean install Vista. I want to know where can I get that Vista DVD? I know a method by using Anytime Upgrade Disc but those discs are not available in India. I dont want to pay for a new licence to get the media. I'll ask HP but I dont think they will give me the media. Does MS give alternate media to its OEM customers?

@Wired- I heard, unlike XP, you can use OEM key on Vista Retail discs. Not sure, but I heard someone saying that he installed using Vista retail disc & the OEM key worked fine.

Originally posted by 1jay1
        Q= I mean I do not want to delete partitions, data. The restore disc's will delete them.
        A= Well "Yes", thats what the restore disk is supposed to do --- is to take you back to day one.
        You must mean, you want to install over the top to refresh the OS but save data!! If so, (Yes) there is a way (like XP) but that needs to be addressed later if needed.
        Yes, I know what restore media is supposed to do.

Comment

Re: Restore without Restore Disks?

Quick answer= No

And I don't think you know all the negative ramifications of installing a "Quote-Quote" clean fresh install.... without all your peripheral drivers as you'll likely end up with some devices not working.

The best solution for you is to do a fresh recovery install to get your system operating exactly like you want it and then get a third party program (like Drive Image) and make an image of same to use in the future. This way, you'll have all your hardware drivers.
          The Vista DVD comes with over 40,000 generic hardware drivers but doesn't cover everything.
          Later!!
          Jay

Comment

Re: Restore without Restore Discs?

I'll ask HP but I dont think they will give me the media. Does MS give alternate media to its OEM customers?
            Ask them------ WHY Not............. you paid for it.
            Later!!
            Jay

Comment

Re: Restore without Restore Disks?

Originally posted by 1jay1 View Post
              And I don't think you know all the negative ramifications of installing a "Quote-Quote" clean fresh install.... without all your peripheral drivers as you'll likely end up with some devices not working.

The best solution for you is to do a fresh recovery install to get your system operating exactly like you want it and then get a third party program (like Drive Image) and make an image of same to use in the future. This way, you'll have all your hardware drivers.
              The Vista DVD comes with over 40,000 generic hardware drivers but doesn't cover everything.
              I have all the drivers Thank you for the concern. And, yeah, I am not a n00b

I'll ask both HP & MS. Lets see if I get positive answer.

Comment

Working...
              X