Windows Vista No Disk Exception

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista No Disk Exception

I get the following error message repeatedly when I log on and occasionally when I try to open certain apps like Windows mail:

Windows - No Disk Exception Processing Messager 0x0000013 Parameters 0x7585023C 0x853429A4 0x7647023C 0x7647023C

with the options to Continue, Try Again, or Cancel.

Any ideas what is going on or how to fix?

Thanks ahead.

PC: Non-networked PC with Intel 930 3.0GHz, 3.0GB RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate, Radeon X1300Pro w/ 256MB RAM, 300GB internal HDD and 120MB USB HDD, DSL Internet.

Re: Windows Vista No Disk Exception

Your first post here so I am tempted to ask:

DID YOU USE GOOGLE?????

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/.../t-154002.html

(if you did, if you've read everything, if you've tried everything, tell us about it, don't let us guess)
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the reply, but no need to yell. I did Google and MS Knowledge Base. Nothing relevent to Win Vista. Somehow I missed that Cyber Tech forum. Didn't see a resolution in that post, but I will DL Silent Runners and post the results here if that is what your saying will help.

David

Comment

Got it fixed. It seems Windows swapped drive letters between my USB HDD and one of the card reader drives. Alot of Registry digging later I got it resolved. Anyway my reg is much cleaner now!

Comment

@everyone: For future reference, you can manually change the drive letters yourself without digging through the registry - from the MMC you go to Disk Management.

Right click on My Computer (or whatever you have it named, or from the Start Menu is you don't have it on the desktop) and select Manage.

Also, you can click start --> run and type diskmgmt.msc.

Vista users can also accomplish this by typing diskmgmt.msc into the Start Menu's search bar.

@Pikhead - glad you got your problem fixed. Another mental note to add to my repertoire of fixes - check for drive letter changes.

@everyone - BTW, there is a shareware utility out there called Registry Crawler that makes searching through the registry a lot easier and faster - I cannot count the number of times it has saved me a lot of hassle because I can search for items to find, just like in any search box on a web page, on your desktop, etc. - it takes some getting used to, and if used with a freeware companion, RegEditX, it almost makes mincemeat out of registry searching.

Warning, though, this is not a tool for the faint of heart - Registry editing is one of the easiest ways to corrupt your system, and should only be considered an option if you really know what you are doing.

@Pikhead - it sounds like you do know what you are doing, so you might want to check out Registry Crawler - see http://www.4dev.com/regc/index.htm (yes, this tool is over 3 years old - and yet it still works great).

1 Caveat - it will add itself to the startup routines, and this can cause problems because, as with most registry tools, it requires admin privileges. If you have UAC disabled, then that should not be an issue, but if you have UAC enabled, and *want* RC to run at startup, you'll need to add the startup routine to a delayed startup section (I use WinPatrol to accomplish this) - else the system will probably block the startup (again because of the UAC prompt).

@everyone - the freeware addon for Windows, RegEditX, is simply an alternate Registry Viewer - with one additional twist - it adds a combo box under the Menu which holds the last keys you have visited using RegEditX, but which also allows you to
          • copy the current Key's path in its entirety (from HKxx on down)
          • paste a key from a website and open that key directly, without having to navigate through the tree to find the key (provided, of course, that the key exists).

Another tool I highly recommend. Check it out at http://www.dcsoft.com/products/regeditx/ - Get the 2.0 Beta - it is stable, I have used it for a couple of years now.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PiKhead View Post
            Got it fixed. It seems Windows swapped drive letters between my USB HDD and one of the card reader drives. Alot of Registry digging later I got it resolved. Anyway my reg is much cleaner now!
            CAN YOU POST HOW DID YOU FIX THE PROBLEM??? I AM TRYING TO FIUX BUT I CANT...

Comment

Using my instructions you can change the drive letters of assigned drives to other letters.

To swap letter, though, you'll need a 3 step process - change one drive to a new letter, change other drive to the previous letter (assigned to the first drive) then change the first drive to the letter used by the second drive.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X