Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB drive not powering down

Hi,

I am using external USB drives (2GB sticks and 160GB HDD) with Vista Ultimate. When I click on "Safely Remove Hardware" to remove these drives, after a while I get the message that the drive is safe to remove. However, the light on the drive does not go off (as in XP Pro). So it is still under power.

After waiting for a while, hoping it would power down, I just puled it out. I got corrupted data the next time I plugged it in. So now, the only safe way to remove it is to shut down the computer. Which, kind of, defeats the purpose of having a portable drive.

Does anyone have a similar problem and perhaps a solution?

Thanks

Branislav Andjelic

Re: USB drive not powering down

I am not using an external HD but I do use one of 3 UFDs (sticks) - and I have no problem getting them to turn off.

Is your problem with both devices?

Have you enabled ReadyBoost for the devices? (typically should only be for Memory Sticks, AFAICT)?

Also, is there any sort of Write-behind cache enabled for the devices?
    sigpic

Comment

The problem is with all devices (1 USB HDD and 3 different sticks).

I have not enabled ReadyBoost.

I don't know where to check for Write-behind cache.

Thanks

Comment

If you right click on one of the drives (in my computer or Windows Explorer) and then select properties, then click on the hardware tab, you get a list of all drives on your system - scroll down and select the drive you want to look at and then click the properties button at the bottom.

BTW, I checked both of mine (UFDs) and both were set 'by policy' to be 'optimized for performance' - and the settings were not changeable.

However, as I said, this works just fine for me, so that is probably not the issue here either, unless yours are set differently.

One more thing - when rebooting, did the UFDs also give you corrupted data?
        sigpic

Comment

I checked and it is set to "Optimize for quick removal". Regardless I always klick on "Safely remove hardware" and wait to get the message it is safe to remove. The puzzling thing is that the light does not go off, i.e. the stick is still powered.

I don't get corrupted data when I shut down with the stick connected.

Comment

i think this is normal (leds lighting) its not working on the system (read and write data ) as drive when you remove safe

Comment

I would guess it is *not* normal, as the user experienced corrupted data when attempting to remove the devices after Vista had said the devices were ready to be removed.
              sigpic

Comment

Does the data corruption happen every time the user removes the USB device when they are told it is safe to do so or is this a one off occurance? If a one off (or maybe two) then it may just be a case of the data being corrupted when it was copied or the data was corrupted by inappropriate storage of the USB device.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hopefully B will reply to that. In addition to the previous poster about the lights being normal - with UFDs, though, the light goes out when the drive is released by Vista to be removed - I have 3 different UFDs and always the light goes out when Vista says the device is ready for removal....
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe found an option to look at:

If the USB thumb drive is set to "Optimize for quick removal"
                    and *not* "Optimize for performance", you do not have to use
                    "safely remove hardware". You can check that by going into
                    Device Manager, look under Disk drives, and check the properties
                    of the USB thumb drive. That setting is located under "Policies"
                    tab. If you are using the thumb drive for ReadyBoost it may be set
                    to "Optimize for performance", and if you change that ReadyBoost
                    may no longer work for that thumb drive. Conversely, if a user has
                    a USB thumb drive that isn't working for ReadyBoost, checking the
                    "Optimize for performance" may get it to pass the test.
                    Later!!
                    Jay

"" As Soon As Apocalypse Comes, IM me ""

Comment

Sorry guys for the delay; been on a trip.

USB thumb drive is set to "Optimize for quick removal"

There is no difference if I pull it out without first using "safely remove hardware", or if I pull it out after using "safely remove hardware" (while the light is still on). I always get corrupted data. The only time I don't get corrupted data is when I shut down the system.

I had XP Pro on the same hardware and no problems.

I tried the same USB drives on a laptop with Vista and had no such problems.

My guess is there is something wrong with the registry somewhere in my installation, but I am not expert enought to even suggest what it may be.

I am going to clean reinstall Vista next week and see what happens.

Branislav

Comment

Might take a look at this shareware software to see if it helps:

http://www.getfreesofts.com/soft/715...ly_Remove.html

Also, this link provides some (brief) info and a link to a M$ Hotfix:

http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/usb-faq.htm#1-2

HTH
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X