Windows Vista Sidebar Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista Sidebar Issues

Not what I would consider a critical issue, but it's annoying nonetheless...

The sidebar on my Windows Vista Biz install seems to have stopped working. I had it disabled for a while because I needed the desktop space, but felt the urge to play with it, and now some of the gadgets display as white squares, some don't display at all, and some, like the clock, display a static image. I'm unable to modify the settings on any of the gadgets, as the little wrench used for doing so is not displayed.

I'm not sure if it's related, but the only thing that has happened to the system while the sidebar was disabled was some weirdness with IE and Media Player. Some months back (and I think I posted about this here but got no response...) IE stopped playing flash videos. I uninstalled and reinstalled flash, and the flash plug-in more times than I could count. Still, every flash object displayed as a white screen. Eventually I noticed that Media Player wouldn't even open. Running the program from the start menu does nothing. Any video or media object displayed in a web page displays as a white object. I thought of uninstalling and reinstalling IE, but it appears you can't do that in Vista, as it's not listed as a component or program you can uninstall.

I eventually switched to Firefox as my browser because I couldn't resolve the issue, and it still persists to this day. Can anyone tell me whether the sidebar is tied to media player or IE, and if there's any suggested fixes for the problem? I'm one of two IT staff at this company who are using Vista, so I'm the guinea pig, and I'd like to get this resolved, rather than just ignore it. Thanks in advance...

Re: Windows Vista Sidebar Issues

No takers? At the least does anyone know what might cause this? There's not much info available on the Sidebar other than how to remove/add gadgets, and developing your own. Thanks...

Comment

Is it possible that some of the sidebar gadgets got corrupted, or that there was an error when copying / replacing the C:\Users\{login}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar folder (which is where all the gadgets are stored)?

I just got through re-installing Vista on a freshly formatted drive, but I had all my user and Program Data folders backed up, and restoring the C:\Users\{login}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar folder with all of its contents restored my Sidebar to exactly how it was before I formatted....

Or, perhaps, it was simply a write error to those folders in the first place....

which, now, in turn, indicates to me that you may have a possible HD / other HW issue, as you've now had issues almost unrelated yet seemingly similar, in that applications all of a sudden start behaving quirky....

Either that or your computer is not flushing all of its cache when shutting down . rebooting....

Hmmm, well, now that I think about it there are other possible causes as well, not necessarily HW failure....lack of space, poorly written programs that won't let go of memory when they should, etc. However I'd first take a look at the folder I mentioned above - who knows, it might even be something as squirrelly as your AV going ballistic on a false positive....
      sigpic

Comment

Long List Of Links
        Last edited by danielp; 3rd November 2007, 06:14.

Comment

Long List Of Links
          Last edited by danielp; 3rd November 2007, 06:13.

Comment

Long List Of Links

Comment

Long List Of Links

Comment

Long List Of Links
                Last edited by danielp; 3rd November 2007, 06:12.

Comment

Long List Of Links
                  Last edited by danielp; 3rd November 2007, 06:12.

Comment

prasannavigneshr, how can posting 207 links to another site help DDenton with his specific question/problem?

Do NOT do that again.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

He won't. Contact me personally if you want to be un-locked.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                      X