No announcement yet.

Weird Vista Ultimate networking problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Vista Ultimate networking problem

I have a fairly new Vista Ultimate install running on an Athlon 64 processor with 2GB memory.

I have lost all ability to view any network adapters. See picture here:

I cannot adjust any NIC settings. Anyone have a clue of what I can do? I went back to my last system restore and it's still not helping. I can only guess it was an update I installed. This has been an issue for about a month.

Re: Weird Vista Ultimate networking problem

Did you follow the instruction and check the Network Connection service is running?

Are the adapters showing in hardware manager?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Yes, and yes. The service is running and device manager shows my adapter, which is a VIA Rhine II adadpter. Newest drivers are installed.

Click Start, click Run, and enter into the box that opens: CMD

In the black box that opens type these three lines, pressing [Enter] on each line:

regsvr32 netshell.dll
        regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
        regsvr32 netman.dll

Reboot and test.
        * Users Helping Users *
        MS-MVP Windows Networking

I tried that a few days ago, and yet again last night. It still is not fixed. Further more, when I go to Network and Sharing center, I get this: notice the class not registered error

I think it is driver installation problem check device manager and rollback previous version of network adapter if you updated it

also goto windows\inf folder and right click files which start net... and install all
            maybe it helps you

That doesn't work. It won't let me install that way.

I find it weird that the UI is showing you all the sharing items enabled when it cannot actually show you the status of the connection that you are sharing with....

Have you tried to perform a Vista repair to see if it fixes itself? You could also try booting into Safe Mode and seeing if Device Manager shows any problems on hidden devices (after telling it to show hidden devices, that is).

I have an environment variable that I found somewhere that forces Device Manager to show devices that are not presently connected to the system - makes it much more effective when attempting to troubleshoot device driver problems from inside Safe Mode. The variable is shown below.

If nothing else, you could always try going into Safe Mode, then Device Manager, and then manipulating the NIC (it's drivers, etc) to see if it is really working or not....
                Attached Files