No announcement yet.

Cannot rename "My Pictures" folder on non-system partition w/Windows Explorer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot rename "My Pictures" folder on non-system partition w/Windows Explorer

On a OEM installation of Vista, I have an extra partition which I use for documents. Coming from XP I had a "My Pictures" folder stored on that partition ( D: ). I copied all of my data folders from a backup.

I cannot rename this "My Pictures" folder with Windows Explorer. If I do, the name changes in Explorer (and "General" property view) but the folder on the file system still has the "My Pictures" name. The only way to rename the folder is trough command prompt (DOS command: ren).

If I rename via command prompt, Explorer does not display the new/correct name.

The Property view displays the correct name only under the Sharing tab (the folder is not shared).

Permissions are standard and work for any other file/folder, so this is clearly a case of Vista fiddling with the name because of its presumed type (picture folder).

Note I did not move nor re-referenced the user picture folder (which is still c:\Users\myloginname\Pictures)

Windows Vista Ultimate Italian w/English Language Pack

Thank you for any help, this is really bugging me.

Re: Cannot rename "My Pictures" folder on non-system partition w/Windows Explorer

Well, I posted after 2 days of searching and troubleshooting, and I was actually very close to the solution.

An hidden system file, Desktop.ini, holds localization information, besides folder specific attributes and views. The name "My Pictures" was actually hard coded in the file, and Explorer defaulted to it when displaying the folder list.

This is almost a bug, IMHO, as the expected behaviour is that changing a folder name results in... a change! Either the name cannot be changed, or if changed, the localization information is dropped or resynced and the folder is displayed with the correct name, matching the file system name.

Comment

Re: Cannot rename "My Pictures" folder on non-system partition w/Windows Explorer

You'll find that insidious desktop.ini file to be a lot more problematic than you realize. For example, I like to have all hidden files shown, all extensions shows, etc, when using Explorer - however, enabling that *also* shows the hidden desktop.ini file on the Desktop itself....

You'd think that would be easily taken care of....but deleting it removes all of my customizations for the desktop....so I can't remove it, and trying to set the Desktop to be the only folder to not show hidden files is proving to be a challenge....it seems Explorer wants it all or nothing....
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X