Vista Business - Self Healing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Business - Self Healing?

Recently, My Vista Business 32-Bit Upgrade had bugged out on me....Specifically, when I clicked on Start to display the Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders displayed a generic manilla folder instead of the nice new Vista bluish green folders. Even when I browsed with Windows Explorer, those particular folders were still the generic default manilla folder look. This bugged me for some time because my other links on the Start Menu all displayed the new Vista look.

After Windows Update installed and configured KB939159, KB933360, KB938979, & KB938194 Vista Restored the generic manilla folders to the new Vista bluish green folder look on the Start Menu and Windows Explorer.

Re: Vista Business - Self Healing?

Yeah, I noticed it too...
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

if I did not understand wrong I think you removed desktop.ini (System,hidden) file from folders if you restore it icons will repair

Comment

No, something is changed. The folder names have changed, the folder icons have changed... Instead of "My Pictures" with a regular icon, it turned into "Pictures" with a green icon.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

right folder icon is green folder icons not yellow icon isn't it
          if hidden and system desktop.ini file is removed from folder
          folder is converted into standart yellow folder

I dont know why updates converted it green icons maybe refresing desktop.ini file

Comment

Yeah, maybe. I don't know.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I don't think Desktop.ini was deleted....I only had problems with the Pictures and Music folder. None of my other folders were giving me issues. The Pictures and Music folders were a generic manilla look for some reason. They weren't displaying the new Vista look. After the Windows Updates, they were refreshed to the New Vista look - bluish green.

Comment

Dekstop.ini is not just on the desktop - that particular file exists in every one of your folders that has some sort of customization applied to it - so, what they were saying is that desktop.ini from your Pictures folder and desktop.ini form you Music folder were deleted, not *all* desktop.ini files.

Try it - show all hidden files, and then search your HD for desktop.ini. (And then be glad these suckers are tiny).
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, I understand that and understand what they were saying....However, in my original post....My configuration for Vista Business is as follows....I am running an Upgrade Vista Business from a Beta Vista Ultimate RC1 that I was running prior to the Microsoft Time Bomb.....no other prior OS installed but an upgrade from Beta RC1 Vista Ultimate....Vista does not contain desktop.ini in all folders.....That is a Pre-Vista configuration. If I am wrong, please check your configuration on Vista and see.....

Comment

I believe it DOES hold desktop.ini files in any folder that has been customized in any way (it can even be because of changing of the view method on the folder).

I could be wrong.

But as others told you, enable hidden files and system files, then do a search for desktop.ini in ALL locations, not just in the indexed folders.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. In my instance, the desktop.ini files were never deleted, and still, the folder changed the way it looks.

Look:
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

You are right and I was wrong. Thanks guys for enlightening me. I was convinced that my desktop.ini file was not deleted and I never enabled SYSTEM FILES.....just HIDDEN FILES....Thanks for the resources!

Comment

Working...
                      X