Strange IE7 Behavior on Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange IE7 Behavior on Vista

I'm running windows vista business. A day ago my flash plugin began to stop working. I noticed that there were 2 different versions of the flash plugin installed, so I removed both, and attempted to reinstall, but since I have no flash plugin, the download site from adobe wasn't displaying properly, so I couldn't reinstall. When I finally found an install file for version 9, I installed with no luck.

After that I noticed some other features weren't working. I cannot print from IE7, unless it's a PDF, then it works fine (I assume because it's a different print driver or plugin). The "Find on this page" feature doesn't work. Numerous install and reinstall attempts have done nothing. In the plugins menu, I see the shockwave flash player ActiveX object, but no standard flash player (not sure if it should be there).

My flash player works fine when using netscape browser and firefox as well. I'm sure some will say "why not just use firefox" but I'm use to IE7's layout.

In addition to the flash wierdness, I've attempted to uninstall IE7 and reinstall it, but unlike XP there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the component and reinstall it (on purpose, I'm sure). Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know of a way to do a repair or reinstall of IE7 on Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Strange IE7 Behavior on Vista

I should mention that I tried running this executable as another site suggested.

c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flashutil9b.exe

No problems running this, and it said it installed. I rebooted, with no change.

Comment

Further adding to my frustration, it seems that some (maybe all) windows media player objects embedded in web pages display as white boxes, and now windows media player (12 I think) for Vista won't start at all. I've moved over to Firefox for my browser because of this. Can anyone provide any input?

Comment

You need to RESET IE7 from Tools/Internet Options and then click on the ADVANCED tab. From there, you should click on RESET....You cannot uninstall IE7 in Windows Vista or Reinstall it.....Reset it and it should work fine.

Comment

Working...
        X