Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vista slow my conputer

hi guys
    I installed on my computer windows vista .
    i have intel processor - 3.0 ghz
    512 mb ram ddr2
    is it ok ? because all my system work very slowly
    and it is very annoying
    thanks

Re: vista slow my conputer

Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

Windows Vista System Requirements (varies depending on version)
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

1GB of RAM is acceptable for Vista but it really starts to come alive at 2GB. 4GB is even better, but 512MB is not enough.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Rob, steal my post again and I will . Totally agree, with what you have said. 4GB and it runs sweet, BUT, you also need a good video card as well. I had the misfortune to work on a Compaq Celeron 3.8, 512MB DDR2 & onboard video. No shiney Glass and slow as a dog. To point out the obvious, video RAM was being stolen from system memory so that left even less RAM for VISTA & apps.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Agree, 1GB of RAM should give you the right feeling, unless you are running consuming appliacitons/processes. No problems whatsoever with onboard graphics (gf6150, ati x200) in (light) home&office usage here (net, email, movies, MS-Word and the likes)

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Rob, steal my post again and I will
            It didn't start here - I stole your tagline a long time ago
            Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav Jeftic View Post
              Agree, 1GB of RAM should give you the right feeling, unless you are running consuming appliacitons/processes. No problems whatsoever with onboard graphics (gf6150, ati x200) in (light) home&office usage here (net, email, movies, MS-Word and the likes)
              Disagree very strongly!!! 1GB with onboard graphics may be ok for light office work, but totally useless for a home PC. It is like running XP with 128MB on a PII 300 with a 1MB S3 Trio.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Depends on what somebody does with his home computer. In my case (as I've mentioned), surfing, emailing, watching movies&listening to music, burning dvds, no gaming, working with MS Office (together with some firewall and AV)- should be quite sufficient. I think it's comparable with experience you get with XP SP2 with 512MB of RAM and gf4 mx 4000 graphics.

Comment

Sorry, but after reading your post it took me sometime to stop laughing. I can only assume you have all the Vista enhancements turned off. If that is the case then I might be inclined to agree otherwise, thanks for the humour. (We need it during winter)
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hm... actually, nothing is turned off - Vista installed with default options and Aero effect is on.
                    Maybe you are doing 3-D rendering or some extensive Photoshop usage, etc. at home - I have no problem with that. My home usage is somewhat light, and I fail to see why is that so funny?

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav Jeftic
                      I think it's comparable with experience you get with XP SP2 with 512MB of RAM and gf4 mx 4000 graphics.
                      Sorry, but that is hilarious. Personal opinion only and that is the final statement I will make on this topic. I am happy for you that you are satisfied with the performance you get with your configuration.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

So far (in this topic) I haven't seen the point of having 4GB of RAM and GF 8800 to play a movie or to burn a DVD while surfing or listening to music.
                        As I've said, I completely agree that some people may do heavy/consuming work from their home regularly, where something like that would be more than justified.
                        In this post I gave a screen of my configuration, and even though it had just 960MB of RAM, there was still some 300MB free, which shouldn't be considered a bad result I think, considering the number of the running processes. Aero was turned off at the time, not because of performance problem, but because I simply don't like the effect. I had similar results when it was turned on. On the other hand, if somebody expects to open windows in a blink of an eye, then definitely he should go for something stronger.
                        By all means, I'm not stopping anybody to spend his money on hardware as he sees appropriate. Just my 2 cents - no need for making fun of a new member.

Comment

Hello,

I installed Vista Ultimate long time ago on my Acer 5672 laptop, it has 1,6Core Duo, 1Gb ram and 512MB hypermemory ATI x1600 (128MB dedicated). I must say I was amazed by the smoothness and speed of vista in this configuration. It's really enough for running a few memory consuming apps simultaneously or playing games (not in highest detail of course). Saying that Vista requires 2 or even 4GB RAM is an exaggeration.

Oh and don't forget to flash your BIOS before installing Vista. Manufacturers claim it helps.

Cheers

Comment

I agree that with the default settings, Vista can run very slow on many pc's.
                            Try turning off ALL the eye candy if your ready to move off of XP, but not ready to upgrade your hardware further.

I am getting respectable performance (finally actually using Vista) on a Quad Core 2.4 gig - 2 gig ram with a 256 meg PCIX video card. Home built on Asus MB.

I do some video editing off Tivo, HDTV files etc. It works very smoothly and with the quad core 12 hour processes are cut to under 2 hours.
                            I have no issues burning a dvd while using the pc or running other processes while doing video conversions.

The overall performance hit over XP is very noticeable - but entirely bearable.

However, XP on this setup is smoking fast, instantaneuos response times.

It really brings back the memories of going from Windows 2000 to Windows XP and not liking the performance reduction. In the interest of progress - I am sticking with the Vista finally.

Comment

Working...
                            X