Create an Administrator Shortcut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create an Administrator Shortcut?

Is there a way to access the Administrator account from my normal user account.
    It seems that every so often I have to be logged on as administrator to do something or another.
    So I have to go through the process of creating a command prompt and logging on and off.
    Is there a way that I can just click on an icon from within my user account and it will log into the Administrator account...without me having a crumby login welcome screen?

Re: Create an Administrator Shortcut?

Yes there is As you haven't specified, I assume you're using Windows XP/2003 or Windows 2000.

Create a new text file using notepad and put the following text into it:

@runas <full path to application EXE> /u:<domain\username>

Replace the red parts with the correct details as below:

@runas "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe" /u:domain\stonelaughter

Then save the file as <filename>.cmd wherever is appropriate (My Documents is usually a good place). Create a shortcut to the CMD file on your desktop or in QuickLaunch or whatever and choose a suitable icon if you wish. When you double-click it, it will pop up a black "DOS" box asking for your password... type your admin account password and off you go.

Some applications cannot be "runas" - for instance Windows Explorer.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      Yes there is As you haven't specified, I assume you're using Windows XP/2003 or Windows 2000.

Create a new text file using notepad and put the following text into it:

@runas <full path to application EXE> /u:<domain\username>

Replace the red parts with the correct details as below:

@runas "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe" /u:domain\stonelaughter

Then save the file as <filename>.cmd wherever is appropriate (My Documents is usually a good place). Create a shortcut to the CMD file on your desktop or in QuickLaunch or whatever and choose a suitable icon if you wish. When you double-click it, it will pop up a black "DOS" box asking for your password... type your admin account password and off you go.

Some applications cannot be "runas" - for instance Windows Explorer.
      Hi Stonelaughter,
      I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit!!!!!!
      Sorry I should have mentioned...and I don't understand!
      At the moment to get into the administrator account in Vista I have to run a command line in an elevated command prompt. I have to type> Net user administrator /active:yes This however creates a logon screen and the only way to switch to Adminstrator is by switching users. I do not like a login screen at the welcome as I am the only person who uses the computer, but I like the UAC. So I dont want to get rid of my account!!!!
      So what the shortcut would be is From my users account to automatically switch user to Administrator without a login screen......
      I hope thats not confusing and is possible!!!

Comment

With Vista I have no idea how to do it so I'll stop here.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks anyway!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eskimosound View Post
            Is there a way to access the Administrator account from my normal user account.
            It seems that every so often I have to be logged on as administrator to do something or another.
            So I have to go through the process of creating a command prompt and logging on and off.
            Is there a way that I can just click on an icon from within my user account and it will log into the Administrator account...without me having a crumby login welcome screen?
            You can create a shortcut to CMD.EXE with the RUNAS command. Is that what you wanted?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

What I think he wants to do is click on an icon that will log him out and into the admin account automaticaly without any user interaction.

However I do not believe this can be done

Dave

Comment

We won't know till he enlightens us.

Anyway, the default administrator's account is disabled by default in Vista, you need to assign a password to it and to enable it.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  We won't know till he enlightens us.

Anyway, the default administrator's account is disabled by default in Vista, you need to assign a password to it and to enable it.
                  Hi, Yep Dave was right I want to pin an Icon to the sart menu that once clicked logs me out of my user account and into the Hidden administrators account without a logon screen both at sart up and when effectivly switching users.

I have the adminstrators account enabled at the moment but it create a logon screen at start up and I want this disabled. I also want my comp to start up in my user account as I dont need to used the administrators account all the time and I like the UAC facility.
                  I enable the administrators account by going into a command promp and typing Net user administrator /active:yes

This has given me what I have described above...so I now need a shortcut that would effectively do this and logoff and login automatically without the nedd for a login screen.
                  Similarly I would need a shortcut in the Administrators account that could reverse the effect.
                  In order to close the administrators account I have to open a command prompt an type
                  Net user administrator /active:no
                  I have taken off the password as is it not needed.

So what do you think...is it possible?
                  Should be, there must be some DOS guys out there!!!
                  Last edited by eskimosound; 23rd June 2007, 02:39.

Comment

Working...
                  X