Installing Vista on external HDD based USB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Vista on external HDD based USB

One of vista features is the possibility to be transferred from one PC to another (Retails only) after she was installed in a spesific HDD

I have seen that was one post in the forum but he was ending without any results.

I will be glad to be directed to any article that describes installation on a external HDD based USB or to get any directing information about the correct way to perform this kind of action

Best regards

Gilad Shtinberger
    Last edited by gilads; 5th June 2007, 11:25.

Re: Installing Vista on external HDD based USB

Transferring Vista from one drive to another? Do you mean imaging?

As for installing it on an external drive, I have it running in VMWare on a pocket HDD - so far, so good.

Comment

Thanks for your answer

What I am trying to do is to install Vista on external HDD based USB from a specific PC

After I installed it, simply to take the HDD to another pc, connect it and start the system as it was installed ox this other PC.

As far as I know this thing is possible but it takes a special installation (I think so...)

Thanks in advanced

Gilad

Comment

I have tried this before with XP with no success. I can't be done with XP as far as I know.

I haven't tried it with Vista yet, but I doubt it's possible. Especially when you consider all the licensing issues.

If you need an OS that can be transported in that manner I would suggest a Linux distro. I've seen it done with Ubuntu. It's a bit tricky but it works well. Especially if you only have a few PC's that you transport it between. Then you can setup a specific kernel for each machine.

Let us know how it turns out. Would be great if it works for you.
        CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

During installation in the partition part I get:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port"

Yet there is no record what should I do to solve this problem.

According to Microsoft EULA it is possible to transfer Vista Retail from PC to PC

every 90 days so this is shouldn't be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by gilads View Post
            During installation in the partition part I get:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port"
            I think that this answers your question.

Comment

Working...
            X