Windows Fax and Scan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Fax and Scan

I have a friend that just bought Vista and he want to know if there is ant way of turning on Windows Fax and Scan, which is available in the Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista seeing that Microsoft send all version of Vista with the install?

Is there a registry hack to resolve this? Please let me know

Re: Windows Fax and Scan

What version of Vista did "your friend" buy?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by rkato View Post
      I have a friend that just bought Vista and he want to know if there is ant way of turning on Windows Fax and Scan, which is available in the Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista seeing that Microsoft send all version of Vista with the install?

Is there a registry hack to resolve this? Please let me know
      I'll go one further than Daniel and suggest that the way to enable these features is to buy Business, Ultimate or Enterprise. If you haven't, then no, there is no LEGAL way to do this. Otherwise it would be a setting in the GUI.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I agree too. Otherwise, the same would go for all other disabled functions (Aero, Remote desktop etc.).

Comment

I thought the purpose of this forum is to ask question . My freind ask me the question so I posted it.
          I think he has a hp laptop with vista ??

My self I would not come down on someone who post a question
          Seeing that on this website is how to enable Areo http://www.petri.com/activate_vista_...ic_edition.htm. Which I believe is not a feature in the basic version of vista either am I correct?

It not nice to throw rocks at a person for asking a question
          ehh

by the way I am going to tell him to buy the upgrade to business vista
          Last edited by rkato; 5th June 2007, 23:20. Reason: more info

Comment

HAH!! Who's throwing rocks?! We simply answered your question. Neg rep for this post.

Please also not Daniel's comments on enabling Aero in Basic:

Originally posted by Mr Daniel Petri Esq. - Owner of this site
            Note: Please make sure you understand the EULA before you perform this trick. Making any functional change in the operating system *might* be considered illegal by Microsoft. I am not responsible in any way for any legal issues that might arise because of this. The reason I chose to upload the information is mostly because it is already freely available on the Internet (so I'm not the first one talking about it), and because I think it is important to show how changes to the Registry can easily add or remove blocked features from the OS.
            Last edited by Stonelaughter; 5th June 2007, 23:30.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Guys, I deliberatly did not tell him that it was illegal because I knew I had that article on my site. But the main thing to beware of is that you should aknowledge the fact that it *might* be considered against the EULA to actually enable a dormant feature that is disabled in purpose in YOUR FRIEND'S Vista version.

On the other hand, and I'm no legal expert, I've heard of stories of people that claim that having a dormant feature that can be worked around to work is like having some sort of engine electrical blocking system on your car, and if you find a way around it you might void your warranty but the car manufacturer cannot stop you from doing it because they could have not given you the option in the first place.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X