Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista or Win XP Pro?

Hello to all

I am running a little network in my work with a domain managed by a win2k server box.
    I need to replace 5 (old) pcs running win98 for new ones.

Is Vista tough enough to work in a domain or should a I choose a mature win XPpro?

Is Vista more prone to faults and slowness due to it's hardware requirements?

I am leaning to Win XPpro, but...

Thanks in advance

Jalveta

Re: Windows Vista or Win XP Pro?

Jalveta,

I take it you mean new physical machines too?!
    I would say it really depends on what applications you are running in your environment (along with licensing etc).

Personally, i'd go with XP (unless you have a good reason not to) and perhaps run Vista in a VM until you are happy it runs all your apps and works for your network in general.

Comment

Simon's advice is good.
      Take a look at this thread too to get some more opinions. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=16121
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If you want Vista to run really nice, 4GB RAM and a real good video card!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the advices (I already had read that thread)

My problem is common, We are at low budget!

I have to choose to buy less machines with Vista (due to it's hardware requirements, the PCs should be way more expensive) or more pcs with XPpro (lower hardware requirements).

BUT then, if I choose the cheaper configurations, the new PCs will not have the power to run Vista accordingly.

I run proprietary programs (Access based and SQL based) in this old machines (some of them are Pentium 100MHz with 64MB RAM running win98 ), the people of the company that develops the program show great surprise when I told them that the program run (slowly, but it runs) in this old machines

Final thought: spend 450eur in a pc to run XP or 750eur to run VISTA

Ideas? suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Jalveta

Comment

Then the choice is obvious. XP!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

A lot of new PC's will be marked as Vista compatible, even if they are supplied with XP.

I agree that you should go for XP for now, however, the hardware should be able to run Vista if you choose to upgrade at a later date.

If they are older stock that run XP only, then take them. I wouldn't think to run Vista for at least a year. In your case, you can think about Vista when these PC's come to their end of life.

I know of lots of organisations happily running XP, and lot's of IT guys only now migrating NT4 to Windows 2003/XP.

That's pretty much how I am handling things for now.
              Last edited by neilmac; 4th June 2007, 08:16.
              Neil Mac

Comment

Thanks folks, for your time and words.

Should start tomorrow faxing my suppliers.

Thanks again.

Comment

I wonder whether I need to upgrade most of the existing applications on my system if I have to upgrade the Operating System to Windows Vista. That probably would mean additional costs-not to talk of the hardware upgrade that may need to be done.
                  I think I am likely to remain with Windows Xp for a few more years, at least until all the bugs have been fully sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by magodo94 View Post
                    I wonder whether I need to upgrade most of the existing applications on my system if I have to upgrade the Operating System to Windows Vista. That probably would mean additional costs-not to talk of the hardware upgrade that may need to be done.
                    I think I am likely to remain with Windows Xp for a few more years, at least until all the bugs have been fully sorted out.
                    HUH!

This is jalveta's thread, why have you hi-jacked it. It you want to ask a question, start your own thread! Thanks.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X