Where do you stand on Vista ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you stand on Vista ?

I haven't really got into Vista yet, and I am still advising customers to stick to XP.

However, it's getting harder to get workstations with XP.

I have a couple of customers who have supplied their own laptops for networks, which include Vista, and I am not sure whether to go with them or to insist on upgrading them to XP Pro.

I feel it's far too early to adopt Vista yet, though I will start looking into it soon (I was going to upgrade my laptop, but the installation report told me that my 15GB of free space was not enough...)

Just interested in hearing your thoughts...

Thanks
    Neil Mac

Re: Where do you stand on Vista ?

I see no reason not to switch to Vista unless you have legacy applications or hardware compatability issues.

All of the new machines in our office have Vista and we've experienced little problems integrating them into out Win2003 domain. Your mileage may vary but for us it's been very easy.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Tried to install it twice. Failed both times and lost interest.

BTW, I went through the same process when Windows XP was released. I was actually on Windows 98 and Windows 2000 for quite some time before I jumped ship to XP.

Given some of the stories I've heard about Vista, frankly I could do without the added frustration in my life right now. I'm in no hurry to discover any of my applications which do not work with Vista. I'll probably start toying with it in VMware now that I have upgraded my lab servers to hardware that should run vista adequately.

Another primary factor for me is that we're not running it at work yet. I'm a big advocate of maintaning a similar environment at home as I do at work for familiarity and troubleshooting purposes. It has paid dividends and saved valuable time in many instances.

Yeah, I'm just a little bit jealous of the people who are already certified on Vista, but to their merit, they have spent much more time with the product, probably working with it extensively in BETA, whereas I don't have much time or interest BETA testing right now. I deal enough with broken software that's supposed to work such that I don't care to deal with broken software that's expected to have bugs.
      Last edited by jasonboche; 1st June 2007, 16:00.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

The way I see it is you better know the devil you work with. I use Vista myself, I hated it terribly for the first beta years, and well into RTM. I still hate it, but I am slowly beginning to see (some of) the values it has.

As for my clients - I tell them to stick to good old XP Pro SP2 and wait for SP3 as long as they can, and I try to convince as many people as possible not to delpoy Vista, not until SP1 is out.

That's my personal opinion though, as Tom said, YMMV.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I think you mean ahinson.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Buy workstation with Vista and use the downgrade option/rights or whatever it is called. That way you can reinstall Vista at a later date.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
              I think you mean ahinson.

Sorry, yes, Andrew.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well have to tell you I'm loving it.
                Had XP for the full 7 years, found it unstable and prone to corruption.
                Tried the Beta2 of Vista last year and hated it...but it's because ther were no drivers available.
                Now running 64bit Ultimate and it is sooooooo.....stable, its incredible, nothing has shook it.
                Still got problems in the 64bit world no real software that utilises it but it will still run 32bit progs so its cool.
                Cant use the 64 IE7 though as Flash and DIVX has problems with it but all in all It is fantastic.
                But as with XP the early years were a mismash of software installations some of them worked and others were crumby.
                Its the price we pay for progress.

Comment

Originally posted by eskimosound View Post
                  Had XP for the full 7 years, found it unstable and prone to corruption.

I run XP on several hundred PCs in schools, many of the computers are the same age as XP itself. Software running on these systems ranges from 1984 DOS based apps to the latest pre Office 2007 apps. I have found it stable and NOT prone to corruption, but then we don't run Limewire, eMule, BitTorrents etc.

In most cases, XP shall be run until 2010-11, well past it use by date and hopefully I can avoid deploying Vista.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    I run XP on several hundred PCs in schools, many of the computers are the same age as XP itself. Software running on these systems ranges from 1984 DOS based apps to the latest pre Office 2007 apps. I have found it stable and NOT prone to corruption, but then we don't run Limewire, eMule, BitTorrents etc.

In most cases, XP shall be run until 2010-11, well past it use by date and hopefully I can avoid deploying Vista.
                    Ha!!! Biggles...yep it always amazes me how my local library has such a superfast stable computer set up...yep limewire, bit torrents are a damned nuisance....

Dont be scared of Vista though...its fantastic.
                    Last edited by eskimosound; 23rd June 2007, 16:51.

Comment

Just to take this further sorry neilmac, I was called to a friend of my wife who purchased a new PC and wanted a webcam. A lovely new Compaq desktop, with LCD screen, Celeron 3.8, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, On-board video sharing the 512MB system memory and Vista Home. Boy was that fun waiting for the little circle to stop spinning after each mouse click. My advice was add and extra 2GB RAM and a good Video Adapter or wipe it and install XP.

Vista is fantastic on a Dual Core, 4GB RAM and 256MB Video Adapter, (G-Force 6600GT as a minumim). Oh yes, don't install any demo games on this gaming platform for fear of killing your activation......just fantastic.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I enjoyed using Vista on my new laptop, 2.0Ghz core 2 duo with 2GB ram and Nvidia 7300 graphics. It ran like a champ.

Unfortunately at work we would have to upgrade a great deal of our workstations just to get a base install to function properly.

It's bad enough that our apps eat up so much of our resources. Would be nice if Microsoft would release a slim trim OS to run them on. Was not at all impressed when I saw Vista using 500MB of RAM right after a clean install. Was using 650MB with the default facotry install.

With that said there are quite a few things I like about Vista. I just wish they would offer an expert install option that would allow us to pick and choose what was installed in the OS. Think Gentoo.....except more user friendly.

What happened to keeping the OS overheard to a minimum so we can actually utilize all that extra power we're getting when we upgrade?

Base install of XP Pro uses approx 91MB of RAM

Base install of Vista uses approx 500MB of RAM

Why?

/rant

CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Thanks Biggles, didn't know that about Demo's....

Comment

Alright, I'm officially a hypocrite.

Went out and bought a System Builders kit for Vista Ultimate yesterday.

*lowers head in shame*

ME - 0
                            Bill Gates - 1

This isn't over.
                            CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bill_sffcu View Post
                              It's bad enough that our apps eat up so much of our resources. Would be nice if Microsoft would release a slim trim OS to run them on. Was not at all impressed when I saw Vista using 500MB of RAM right after a clean install. Was using 650MB with the default factory install.
                              Of course since your here on this forum you know that Vista is designed to eat up all your memory then release it as programmes need it ??

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X