Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems running XP's NTBACKUP under Vista

Hi All...

I have followed instructions explicitly from Petri's site to run XP SP2's NTBACKUP under Vista Enterprise and Ultimate, only to get this error... The error occurs after I have stepped through all of NTBACKUP's options, and want to start the backup. The last message I see is: "Preparing the Volume Shadow Copy Service", after which it bombs. This, BTW, happened on all 4 of my PCs running Vista - a mix of Enterprise and Ultimate. I even asked a buddy of mine to try it out... he's getting the same issue. Here's the log file it generates:

Media name: "ROOT_C_Full_Backup.bkf created 5/30/2007 at 2:02 PM"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure

Aborting Backup.
    ----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.
    ----------------------

As Petri's article stated, I copied NTBACKUP with associated .dll's to a different subdirectory, and made a shortcut to it. (ie. Ntbackup.exe, Ntmsapi.dll, Vssapi.dll, Ntbackup.chm, Ntbackup.hlp) I installed and enabled the Removable Management Service. I've checked and made sure the Volume Shadow Copy Service is running... All is running well, and I'm not getting any ohter errors.

I've read somewhere that NTBACKUP is not compatible using Vista's Volume Shadow Copy Service, which is why it bombs. I cannot turn this option off under NTBACKUP, unless I just want to copy a couple of simple files... however, even then, it still bombs with the same error.

If anyone has gotten this to work successfully (like backing up your Entire C:\ drive including the system state), please let me know what you had to do to make this work?

Thanks!
    Mike

Re: Problems running XP's NTBACKUP under Vista

Backing up a file with the Volume Shadow Copy disabled works (see attached images).

However, it seems that you cannot disable it when backing up the system state, therefore it hangs.

Interesting find. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hey Daniel... you are correct. I was able to get it to work by not selecting the system state, and was able to disable the Shadow Copy that way. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks so much for the information on getting this to work. The only thing I am having an issue with is getting it to run or even activate as a scheduled task? I am using Ultimate.... By doing a Run Now other than Later works... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jason
        Last edited by ctcjason; 4th June 2007, 16:01.

Comment

anyone? I am running out of ideas. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Comment

Hi,

Apologies for the long-windedness...

Just had Vista inflicted upon me, and of course, nothing works.

I found Daniel's page on running NTBackup and also found all kinds of other pages out there pointing to it... but I couldn't get it to work. Everyone said, "Oh yeah, go check out this page, it works!" Heh.

Until, that is, I found this thread. HA!! Looks like there are some challenges with Volume Shadow Copy in Vista, eh? Following the instructions in the OP to disable VSS in my backup, I finally saw it work for the first time.

Now for the hard part (as if that wasn't hard enough)... I consider VSS to be absolutely essential. It's what sets NTBackup apart, in my view, from all the posers out there. Every other tool I've tried has failed to back up open files. Sure, I could spend an arm and a leg on a "real" backup tool, but really, I have better things to spend my money on...

So, my dilemma is this: Is it possible to run NTBackup under Vista *with* VSS? If it is, I haven't figured out how. When I try, I get this in the backup log file:

Code:
            Backup Status
            Operation: Backup
            Active backup destination: File
            Media name: "media1.bkf created 6/12/2007 at 6:43 PM"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure

Aborting Backup.

----------------------
            The operation did not successfully complete.
            ----------------------
            In the application event log, I have this (line breaks added for readability):

Code:
            Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine 
            CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80004002. 
            42554543584D4C43333533320000000042554543584D4C433334393400000000
            Then this:

Code:
            Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy shim called routine 
            CoCreateInstance( CLSID_VSSCoordinator, IID_IVssShim) which failed with status 
            0x80004002 (converted to 0x8000ffff).
            And finally this:

Code:
            The description for Event ID 8019 from source NTBackup cannot be found. Either 
            the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or 
            the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the 
            local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be 
            saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Warnings or errors were encountered.
            That last one is, I'm pretty sure, rather useless, and in all actuality, a big fat "duh", but I include it in the interests of completeness.

On another post somewhere, I read about copying a few additional files from the XP install having to do with VSS:

Code:
            08/23/2001  05:00 AM            33,792 vssadmin.exe
            08/04/2004  12:56 AM           430,592 vssapi.dll
            08/04/2004  12:56 AM           289,792 vssvc.exe
            08/23/2001  05:00 AM            16,896 vss_ps.dll
            vssadmin.exe is a command-line tool that shows you what's going on on the system with respect to VSS. I tried it and got the same error I see in the event log:

Code:
            C:\NTBackup>vssadmin list providers
            vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
            (C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Error: 0x8000ffff
            If I run vssadmin.exe on my XP install, it works as expected, giving me what I assume is supposed to be useful information for those who know what it means. So, I interpret this to mean that these exe's and dll's related to VSS are not compatible with Vista... but since it was found that NTBackup itself can be copied from an XP box, perhaps more stuff related to VSS can be copied as well, allowing VSS to work properly.

Again, without VSS, I consider any backup tool to be pretty much worthless. It is absolutely essential to be able to copy open files.

Has anyone gotten VSS to work with NTBackup on Vista? Any ideas?

Regards,

~paul
            Last edited by pbrown280; 13th June 2007, 05:10.

Comment

I set up NT Backup under Vista using Daniel's instructions but I am getting a different error - when I run ntbackup.exe I immediately get the error:

"The ordinal 3 could not be located in the dynamic link library VSSAPI.DLL"

and it's Game Over.

I am assuming that this DLL is associated with Volume Shadow Copy which I have started, along with the Removable Storage service.

In my case, I would be satisfied to not have Volume Shadow Copy running because I am okay with making sure that all applications are closed before running the backup and so I am not concerned with open files.

Has anybody else failed to get ntbackup.exe to run at all under Vista (Business)?

TIA for your help,

simplitek

Comment

Did you diable the Shadow Copy for the backup job?
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I either can't get it to work. Followed instructions, backup starts, but then while trying to rewind to tape, it says:

The device reported an error on a request to MS_UpdateNtmsOmidInfo.
                  Error reported: 8.
                  There may be a hardware or media problem.
                  Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
                  An inconsistency was encountered on the media in LTO Ultrium. Do not append to this media:

Application log:
                  The description for Event ID 8001 from source NTBackup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Cannot find anything about this error 8.

LTO driver is 2.3.2007 by HP and it's ms hardware compatibility signed.

btw, do you have UAC enabled, the ofcourse you have to run old ntbackup as an administrator.

Comment

Well, I don't have that tape to play with, but remember, the old ntbackup is NOT supposed to run on Vista, so you might be out of luck.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I think I've found a solution to the problem of using Volume Shadow copies with ntbackup.

To enable volume shadowing you'll need a copy of the VShadow tool, which is part of the free Microsoft VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) SDK. You'll also need a copy of the little utility dosenv.exe, which comes as part of various SDKs, or which can be downloaded directly from various utility websites. I learned about both of these from another excellent site, the Antimail Blog.

The solution is to wrap ntbackup in a pair of command scripts. The first, master script first invokes the system restore utility so you can optionally write a system restore point to disk (in lieu of a proper system state option). It then just invokes Vshadow to create the shadow copies, writes a set of environment variables describing them to a temporary script, and passes control to an inner script. The shadows only persist while this inner script is running, and are then torn down:

REM Backup script to set volume shadow copy for
                      REM ntbackup under Vista
                      REM First Create a dedicated system restore point
                      C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

REM The following creates the volume shadows, and
                      REM passes control to BackupScript2.cmd.
                      REM This exits when that does.
                      "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\VSSSDK72\Tools\VSSReports\vshadow. exe" -script=backupenv.cmd -exec=BackupScript2.cmd C: F:

The second script first runs the temporary script to set environment variables describing the shadows. It then uses dosdev to map these to drive letters, and then passes control to ntbackup. When the backup is complete it does a bit of tidying up, then exits:
                      REM Backup script to use volume shadow copy with
                      REM ntbackup under Vista
                      REM Called by BackupScript.cmd, which creates the
                      REM shadow copy

REM This creates the environment variables with the shadow details
                      call backupenv.cmd

REM Now Map the DOS drives
                      dosdev Y: %SHADOW_DEVICE_1%
                      dosdev Z: %SHADOW_DEVICE_2%

REM Run the backup(s)
                      ntbackup

REM Tidy up
                      dosdev -r -d Y: %SHADOW_DEVICE_1%
                      dosdev -r -d Z: %SHADOW_DEVICE_2%

You use the volume shadows by backing up the mapped drives, not the original ones - you still need to "disable" volume shadowing in the ntbackup user interface.

There are a couple of weaknesses with this, and I'd welcome any suggestions for improvement:
                      • This works well with some files, e.g. SQL/Server databases, but not others, e.g. Google Desktop's indexes.
                      • The backup reports permission problems on some files, whereas there's no problem with the equivalent files on the master disk.
                      • You still need to manually "disable" volume shadowing in ntabckup.
                      • You can backup the "system state" by making sure you include the latest files in the System Volume Information folder on each drive. However, it's not clear whether you can then effectively restore the whole system state by restoring these from the backup.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hi Mike-

My NTBACKUP went through fine, but open files were skipped with messages like this in the ntbackup backup.log file:

Warning: Unable to open "D:\Documents\Configs\DV9500t\dv9500t.doc" - skipped.
                        Reason: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I did not enable the removable storage manager (it seemed to me that this had to do with tape drives - if someone knows different, please let me know)

So my question is where you left off? Are you able to do a backup of open files with NTBACKUP under Vista? Any more details you can provide?

I am running Vista Ulimate 64 bit-

With Regards-
                        Sam

Comment

Working...
                        X