No announcement yet.

Vista Authenticating to Linux (Samba)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Authenticating to Linux (Samba)

I have a research folder on our network that is located on a Samba server. All the Vista machines we have recently joined to our domain fail to join up to the Samba server. In our login script they will connect other drives but not the drive connecting to the Samba server.

If I try to connect to the Samba server using the network path I am prompted for the users username and password over and over. It doesn't get past this step.

Unfortunately I am not good with Linux, I know very little about it in fact. But as
    the pc technician I have been tasked with solving this issue.

Has anyone had a similar problem, if so how if so did you resolve it.

Re: Vista Authenticating to Linux (Samba)

Further on,

I am getting an error in the login script I get a system error 1314 has occured message. below this message there is another error saying " A required privelidge is not held by client".

There is an area for the username and password. The username can be typed and is accepted then when you go to put in the password nothing comes up and the cursor doesn't move.

I had the same problem. On Vista run secpol.msc. Look for Local Policies > Security Options>Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level. Change it to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Worked for me.

1. Log onto the Vista computer with an Administrator account

2. Got to “Start” > “Run”, type “secpol.msc”

3. Expand “Local Policies”

4. "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it

5. By default Windows Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only".

6. Change the authentication level to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

7. The computer should now be able to log onto the Samba server.