Vista(Overview)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista(Overview)

Hey guys, have you tried any new features in Vista, what do you like the most and what do you hate. Have you given a try to Vista Search, what do you think about it. I have a Vista in my Home, but at work, we are still using Windows 2000. Are you guys also still using older versions of Windows at work, any sense on when will they upgrade. Greatly appreciate your thoughts - Mark Smith

Re: Vista(Overview)

Ahhh, too general of a question. Vista has had a love/hate relationship with many users. Just search Google and you'll find some interesting horror stories...
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

We're using XP at work and will not be using Vista for at least another year, or until all PC's we buy stop giving the option to buy preconfigured with XP.

I've got Vista on my home laptop, Core 2 Duo 1.66Ghz, 1Gb memory, 100Gb 7200rpm HDD.

The first thing I did after installing Vista was get another 1Gb mem!!! I looked at my resource meter, and with Vista just sat there after logging in, it was using 65% of memory - this is before installing any other programs!

I thing "Aero" is a bit of a con, it's not really a necessity. I like the search features, much better than that of XP and before. I like the built in media centre, and also the fact that it's much secure.

What I don't like....

- UAC (damn annoying popups everytime you do something!)
      - Aero (seems naff)
      - The fact it's soooooooo resource intensive
      - Program Compatibility (some older programs refuse completely to install)
      - Driver updates. It took ASUS about 10 weeks before releasing the drivers I needed, I had to use unofficial ones in the meantime.

Vista seems good I agree, but in all honesty I can't see what it offers to businesses that really really would increase productivity...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimwes View Post
        - UAC (damn annoying popups everytime you do something!)
        This can be turned off.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Jimwes View Post

I've got Vista on my home laptop, Core 2 Duo 1.66Ghz, 1Gb memory, 100Gb 7200rpm HDD.

The first thing I did after installing Vista was get another 1Gb mem!!! I looked at my resource meter, and with Vista just sat there after logging in, it was using 65% of memory - this is before installing any other programs!
          Don't know if you have read the following article Jim, but your above quote reminded me of it and thought it may be of some interest to you. http://www.petri.com/vista_aero_performance_issues.htm

I wonder what the next desktop O/S will use?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hm... hope it's not too offtopic, but regarding the text on the mentioned link:

Never mind that running Vista with just the basic installed services and NO application running except Task Manager and the screen capturing utility (SnagIt) consumes way too much resources…
            Picture shows that number of running processes is 55 (it's a laptop, so probably due to the utilities and similar software, preinstalled by the manufacturer) which is somewhat higher than on a usual desktop (on later photos even it goes up to 77). Also, the laptop had a generous amount of RAM installed. From my experience, solo Vista (with an AV and FW turned on) on a common desktop with 1GB of RAM, means around 40 processes and around 400-450MB of RAM usage.
            Not that it's too important, just my two cents.

Comment

As I said, it's a love/hate relationhip.

After formatting that laptop and going back to XP Pro SP2 I found myself with a strange feeling and I ended up re-installing Vista all over again.

The laptop was indeed pre-configured, but the only time it was in that configuration was for a brief day or even less the day I got it. The first thing I do when I get a new laptop is to nuke whatever it has on it, and manually reinstall.

Enclosed some screenshots of my task manager at this very moment. Note that the largest memory space is taken by Avant browser, currently with around 20 opened tabs. Had I had 20 open tabs in IE7 I wouldn't have been able to speak with you now....
              Attached Files
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

BTW, the following screenshot is of the same laptop, one second after I disabled the Aero theme.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by danielp; 30th May 2007, 23:07.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

And why do I say it's a love/hate issue? Just look at what happens when I boot a Virtual Machine running Windows XP Pro SP2 with 256MB or allocated RAM... Vista actually takes LESS memory than it did when VPC was NOT running!

Now look at what happens when I turn off the VM, and what happens when I close Microsoft Virtual PC 2007... The memory usage goes even lower...

So, there is *something* about it, I have to admit. I will need to re-write some of the stuff I posted on that article...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by danielp; 25th May 2007, 21:30.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I guess Vista's superfetch feature is responsible for such results of RAM utilization. Definitely it handles RAM in a different way than XP. If you could throw some more light on that in your article, it would be more than interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                      Enclosed some screenshots of my task manager at this very moment. Note that the largest memory space is taken by Avant browser, currently with around 20 opened tabs.
                      I know it's off topic, but I'm a big fan of AvantBrowser. I use it all day every day. The fact that a guy I respect so much like Daniel uses it too, makes me feel very good.

http://www.avantbrowser.com

And as a side point, Avant always takes up a lot of memory when multiple pages are open. Even when you close the pages it sometimes still takes up memory, so you can Save all open pages and Exit and then restart Avant.

-Eli

Comment

Yes but you missed my point. Had it been 20 tabs open in IE7 I bet it would have take A LOT MORE memory...
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hm... it's more, but I guess nothing alarming. Though I admit I didn't try to open twenty tabs of pages like nba dot com. Btw, the computer I'm working on is Sempron 3000+ with 1GB of RAM and integrated ATI x200 sharing 64MB of system memory.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Miroslav Jeftic; 31st May 2007, 09:14.

Comment

Well it seems to be official. Who can open the most number of Tabs in IE (running Vista) before it crashes from memory overload.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I apologize if my post was misleading, but just wanted to say that memory consumption is similar or comparable to aforementioned browser, not that I need so many tabs or that I'm trying to make some kind of a record.

Comment

Working...
                              X