Enabling netbios in Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling netbios in Vista

Having changed some settings in my Vista Ult install I seem to have disabled NetBIOS which is a pain as its needed on our network.

I have gone into adv tcp setting and its enabled in WINS tab but it does not show up as a protocal in list whereas it does on the other Vista box.

How can I add it back in without doing a reinstall?

Cheers

Dave

Re: Enabling netbios in Vista

Hm... I think that you can not see it in the protocol list, unless it's the same case as in the picture bellow:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Miroslav Jeftic; 7th May 2007, 18:38.

Comment

Is that a Vista screenshot? I don't think so...

NwLink is dead, more dead than that you cannot be.

As for NetBIOS, that's NOT NetBEUI!!!! NetBIOS is the naming interface, and you are NOT supposed to see it anywhere. There is a "Disable NetBIOS" checkbox in the TCP/IP v4 advanced properties, but that's all.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

My point exactly. The screenshot I left is from XP (I didn't have Vista near me, but I think that properties screen should be the same), because I 'm guessing he misunderstood NetBios mentioned in Nwlink for tcp/ip's NetBios, which isn't supposed to be in the protocol list at all. Hence the screenshot and my asking whether that picture is the same or similar to the one on his other Vista machine.
        I don't actually need it so it's not enabled, it's there just for the picture's sake.
        Last edited by Miroslav Jeftic; 8th May 2007, 18:54.

Comment

So DaveUK: What exactly did you disable? Being a NETBEUI fan (to a point since MS can't write a TCP stack worth a darn -- Vista may be different?) , I'm intrigued by your inquiry.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            So DaveUK: What exactly did you disable? Being a NETBEUI fan (to a point since MS can't write a TCP stack worth a darn -- Vista may be different?) , I'm intrigued by your inquiry.
            Im not entirely sure what i disabled hence my original question. It is not something I would normally look to fixing but recently files on web pages fail to load but you can refresh the page and it will display the page correctly, the machine is also used for LAN gaming, and some games could be seen but others couldn't, the other Vista machine could see them fine, it was only when we started to compare the ipconfig /all of the vista boxes did we notice on one NetBIOS was disabled despite it being enabled in the IP V4

So what I think might have happened is the networking stack has go itself upset somehow and needs to be reset, so I might just format and reinstall as I need to move some partitions about anyhow.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Not having Vista up, I'm not aware what goodies it puts forth in an IPCONFIG / ALL.

In WXP and W2K3 there is a TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service -- anything similar in Vista that may be turned off on one machine?

Finally, you may want to try uninstalling the protocol stack on that machine then reinstalling.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X