Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to logon to Windows XP (from Vista)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to logon to Windows XP (from Vista)

Hi everyone,

I am having a following problem on a network. I have 2 Windows Vista PCs on and 6 Windows XPs. I can't logon on 2 XPs using Vista. I am getting error message:

"Logon Unsuccessful: Windows is unable to log you on. Be sure that your name and passwords are correct"

The remaining 4 XPs are using the same username/password and I can login from Vista with no problems.

I am also running Vmware with XP on the Vista, and I can login with within Vmware into those XPs.

I created a new user on the affected XPs, and tried to login from Vista using the new username resulting with the same error message.
    On the Vista I disabled:

- firewall (Windows and Mcafee)
    - User Account Control

The hardware is:
    Dell XPS M1710 laptop
    Dell 9200 Desktop

I would appreciate all help how to resolve this problem.

Re: Unable to logon to Windows XP (from Vista)

Do you have ISA installed? If so, did you try installing the newest version of the Firewall Client on those 2 XP clients that won't connect?

Comment

Did you do any thing at all different on those two xp clients ? Set a policy, did a certain update, installed other specific software. Anything ?

Comment

Re: Unable to logon to Windows XP (from Vista) resolved

Ok I solved the problem. The two Vista's had a wrong date. Changing to the current date resolved the problems logging in to XP workstations.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Appreciate you letting us know you solved it and what the problem was. Thanks.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanx for the heads-up, now i know that too

Why does this give a problem, does this have to do with kerberos or am i totally wrong here ?

Comment

Kerberos won't work unless the client is within 5 minutes of the "server". This has been the case since Windows 2000 first came in. This is why all clients are automatically time-synched with %LOGONSERVER% once they are logged on.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

One other solution which a lot of people miss is that you can not log onto, nor see the shares of, a target PC unless you have at least ONE folder shared on the target. Once you set up the share, on the source PC you will see the target's printers folder plus the shared folder.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                  One other solution which a lot of people miss is that you can not log onto, nor see the shares of, a target PC unless you have at least ONE folder shared on the target. Once you set up the share, on the source PC you will see the target's printers folder plus the shared folder.
                  That may be true but probably not for the reasons you think. You need to stop the server service to remove the IPC$ share. And if the server service is stopped then it doesn't matter if you have anything shared or not, no one will be able to log on over the network.

I should note that even if you disable the administrative shares (this doesn't include the IPC$ share) and have no other shares, you can still log on over the network.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                    That may be true but probably not for the reasons you think. You need to stop the server service to remove the IPC$ share.
                    Why do you need to remove the IPC$ share?

And if the server service is stopped then it doesn't matter if you have anything shared or not, no one will be able to log on over the network.
                    I can't see why the Server Service would be stopped. Whenever this has happened to me in the past (a few times, it has), the first thing I always checked were the Services, which all looked good. Only by creating ONE user-defined share was I able to then access the target PC's files. I know it does not sound right, but this is from experience.

I should note that even if you disable the administrative shares (this doesn't include the IPC$ share) and have no other shares, you can still log on over the network.
                    What are you logging on to if there are no shares to log into? From what I can gather from the OP, he is trying to access a shared folder on a target PC.
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

I fear we might be drifting further and maybe my post will be pruned or moved but here goes.

And please note that this is not an attack on you or your knowledge in any way. I'm merely trying to bring as much accuracy as I can and if I submit any erroneous information, please show me and I will humbly apologize.

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                      Why do you need to remove the IPC$ share?
                      You don't. You don't need to remove any shares. I only gave that as an example because you stated
                      you can not log onto, nor see the shares of, a target PC unless you have at least ONE folder shared on the target
                      If you really want to hold fast the "at least ONE folder shared " then the statement is wrong because you can log on to a computer over the network if no folders are shared.

I can't see why the Server Service would be stopped.
                      The only reason it would be stopped is if you did it manually so you can delete the IPC$ share.

Whenever this has happened to me in the past (a few times, it has), the first thing I always checked were the Services, which all looked good. Only by creating ONE user-defined share was I able to then access the target PC's files. I know it does not sound right, but this is from experience.
                      I have no doubt it what you say is true but understanding the underlying reasons and what really took place is another matter.

What are you logging on to if there are no shares to log into?
                      When you log on you authenticate. Once you're authenticated you then can access resources you have permissions to access. (like shares)

From what I can gather from the OP, he is trying to access a shared folder on a target PC.
                      No argument here. My goal was to bring accuracy and clarity... I may have brought neither.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy- I appreciate the explanation. I'm only trying to get my head around the way it all works.
                        |
                        +-- JDMils
                        |
                        |

Comment

Working...
                        X