Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

    I just rebuilt my Vista machine and i noticed these in task manager, are there supposed to be this many? is it anything to worry about?
    Attached Files
    changed

  • #2
    Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

    I'm not running Vista in full force yet but based on previous experience with 2000, 2003, and XP, I wouldn't doubt it. SVCHOST annoys me to no end becuase it masks the real process that it represents with a generic process name.

    Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

      Alright, i was a bit worried but i feel a bit better now, cheers
      changed

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

        Use something like process explorer and you'll be able to see exactly what process is running under which svchost.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

          Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Use something like process explorer and you'll be able to see exactly what process is running under which svchost.
          Aye, process explorer, process monitor, (and the entire SysinternalsSuite) is part of my standard server image, however, due to the release date of those tools, some of the servers I visit don't have those tools yet. I can install them on the spot if I have the 8MB package with me, but it's a nuisance to not have it there quickly at my fingertips when I command. It's a personal issue I need to work though.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

            Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
            Aye, process explorer, process monitor, (and the entire SysinternalsSuite) is part of my standard server image, however, due to the release date of those tools, some of the servers I visit don't have those tools yet. I can install them on the spot if I have the 8MB package with me, but it's a nuisance to not have it there quickly at my fingertips when I command. It's a personal issue I need to work though.
            The beauty of carrying a 1gb mem stick.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

              For sure. I've had a 2GB version for the last few years and I'm considering upgrading to 4GB or maybe even 8GB because it's within price range and as it is I run out of space on my 2GB version.

              However, not all my servers have (functional) USB ports, in particular my virtual machines which have virtual hardware and thus no physical port to plug a USB stick into.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

                Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                For sure. I've had a 2GB version for the last few years and I'm considering upgrading to 4GB or maybe even 8GB because it's within price range and as it is I run out of space on my 2GB version.

                However, not all my servers have (functional) USB ports, in particular my virtual machines which have virtual hardware and thus no physical port to plug a USB stick into.
                Very valid point.

                The joy's of being an IT guru eh..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: svchost - am i supposed to have this many?

                  A tool I sometimes use to view processes and the executables linked to them: prcView

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X