Windows Update 929777 will not install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Update 929777 will not install

I have a Dell XPS 1210 with 4 GB of RAM, and this update will not install, no matter what I do.

Windows Updates clains it's recommended, but although I've tried to install is via WU and manually, I keep getting error code 8000FFFF.

Google searches came up with this issue, and people claim that it's because the computer has over 2 GB of physical memory.

Any idea on how to solve this, except physically remove the exsessive RAM?

EDIT: I will try configuring Vista not to use over 512 MB of RAM, and then try again.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Windows Update 929777 will not install

Reply to myself, sorted out, article will soon be released on main site. In the meantime, here is the short version of the answer:

Click Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter, then run the following command:

Code:
    bcdedit /set removememory 2813
    Note: The value at the right of the removememory switch is the amount of MB of RAM that you want to remove from the system. Make sure you make the correct calculations, otherwise you'll render your system in a non-operational state, and will have to repair it.

Next, reboot the computer, and you'll notice that it only "sees" (in my case) 512 MB of physical memory.

Try to reinstall the KB 929777 hotfix, and voila, it successfully installs.

Now we need to revert the booting option to normal. In order to do that:

Click Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter, then run the following command:

Code:
    bcdedit /deletevalue removememory
    Reboot the computer and look at Task Manager to verify that it now "sees" the normal amount of physical memory.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you for posting back with your solution. I am sure this will be of help to someone in the future.

If the date on this thread was April 1, I would have been sure it was an April Fool joke, especially after the solution was posted.

Have you sent off a notice to MS to ammend their KB article?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Don't laugh, I was pretty pissed off because of this nasty update.

Did I mention I hate Vista?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
          Don't laugh, I was pretty pissed off because of this nasty update.

Did I mention I hate Vista?
          You just don't like change

So far my company has bought three computers with Vista and so far I've reformatted and installed XP on three computers that had Vista on them.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

So I am not the only one... LOL
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Daniel,

In regards to this forum post and your article http://www.petri.com/cannot_install_...a_kb929777.htm, you posted:
              Important note: Please note that if you configure these settings wrongly you might get a BSOD and will NOT be able to reboot your computer. You will probably have to repair it, or in the worst case scenario – even reinstall Vista. Please proceed at your own risk.
              I did happen to render my Vista machine unbootable as your warning stated. I was able to recover from it, however. After failed attempts trying to boot into safe mode, last known good configuration, auto-repair from the Vista DVD, and even a System Restore, using the command prompt from the Repair console on the Vista media was the only way I got back to my original state.

I'm going to take a snippet from my post on Experts-Exchange so I don't have to retype all of it again...(http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M...2699176.html):

Just one thing to mention before I explain. I'm recreated what I did from a working Vista machine, so my command prompt displays "C:\Windows\system32", but if you booted to the media and used the repair command prompt, you'd be sitting at a prompt displaying somthing similar to "X:Administrator:etc,etc,etc". Just wanted to clear up and questions anyone may have towards that...

Here's what I did to fix it:

I issued a "bcdedit" to display the boot identifiers (by name). Here are my results from that command:
              C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
              --------------------
              identifier {bootmgr}
              device partition=C:
              description Windows Boot Manager
              locale en-US
              inherit {globalsettings}
              default {current}
              resumeobject {91432f6f-dbc4-11db-abd8-9d652fd38e16}
              displayorder {current}
              toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
              timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
              -------------------
              identifier {current}
              device partition=C:
              path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
              description Microsoft Windows Vista
              locale en-US
              inherit {bootloadersettings}
              osdevice partition=C:
              systemroot \Windows
              resumeobject {7d94b187-1857-11dc-8815-9041a8614e37}
              nx OptIn
              removememory 2048

C:\Windows\system32>

Now in order to delete out the "removememory" value which I set, I needed to run this command.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /deletevalue {current} removememory
              The operation completed successfully.

And to verify, I ran "bcdedit" once again and it removed the line "removememory 2048" from the Windows Boot Loader Section:

Windows Boot Loader
              -------------------
              identifier {current}
              device partition=C:
              path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
              description Microsoft Windows Vista
              locale en-US
              inherit {bootloadersettings}
              osdevice partition=C:
              systemroot \Windows
              resumeobject {7d94b187-1857-11dc-8815-9041a8614e37}
              nx OptIn

If you decided to run a "bcdedit /v", it would display the identifiers in fully detail (strings). I was also able to repair my mistake using the full strings. My guess is this would be helpful if you were dual booting, etc to clearly identify which boot loader you were working with, but I'm not entirely sure.

I just wanted to provide this in case others hosed their machines like I did. I still don't know why it crashed it, maybe I took too much memory away????

Anyways, thanks for that article and letting me post my, one of many, Vista Nightmares.

Last edited by TrippleO7; 18th July 2007, 14:07.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Would someone please tell me what significance the value 2813 has? Seeing as how it's not an even number, I don't understand how that eliminates two gigs of addressability.

I have the same issue as you all, with 4GB RAM and Vista 32bit. However, after I downsize my memory allocation to 1280MB, I am not able install 929777. Installing the standalone package fails with no error msg and windows update does not attempt to install it, and marks it 'not needed'.

This is fine except that when I remove the removememory entry and shoot back up to 4GB, windows update attempts to install 929777 again - ugh!

So back to my original question/statement - I'd like to let windows address the most possible memory (3GB I hope) without having to install 929777, and the value 2813 isn't making much sense to me. Can anyone tell me how I would go about removing all superfluous capacity (in BCD, of course)?

Thanks very much
                  Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X