Vista Upgrade fails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Upgrade fails

So I finally got my express upgrade to vista business in the mail the other day but I am having trouble installing it.

I started the upgrade on my computer and it ran for about 3 hrs installing all the files, but once it got to 50% complete of the final step (completing installation) it just got suck. I had read that this step would take awhile so I left it overnight to finish installing. The next morning I expected to come down to a vista machine....not so!

After I logged into my XP account I got a message box saying that the install had failed and that it had reverted to XP and that I should check to see if my hardware was compatable. I did so and it came back that there would be no problem and that the best version of vista for me would be business (probably because it is currently XP Pro and the computer is a part of my domain). So I decided to try it again.

Same result.

Is it possible I have a bad disk? or is there something I am missing here...my hardware checks out and I did not cancel the install early just thinking it was stuck, it canceled itself and reverted to XP?????

Re: Vista Upgrade fails

All signs do point to a bad disk.

Can you not request a new one just to put your mind at ease? Not too sure how the vista licenses go but can you not just use someone elses disk and use your serial No.? (If you know someone who has one that is )

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking that I would try a clean install on a different computer (I have been meaning to do my bi-yearly clean install soon anyway) and see if that makes a difference. Maybe doing a clean install versus an upgrade would make a difference.

But it sounds like you agree it could be a bad disk. I don't know anyone that would have a copy so I guess I will have to start the long tedious process of getting another one out of M$.

Comment

What are your hardware specs?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          What are your hardware specs?
          I've got:
          3 gig intel pentium D dual core processor
          1 gig of DDR2
          512 DDR video card GeForce 7300
          160 gig HD

But like I said when I ran the upgrade advisor and it came back with no errors

Comment

With hardware similar to yours, I installed RC version in 20 - 25 minutes. Try the upgrade, upgrade install on a clean HDD and see how that goes.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... 20-25 minutes huh

I guess I will go and try from a formated HD since it took me way longer than that.

Comment

Please keep us informed on how it goes. Good luck.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am told, and I would like to be corrected if I'm wrong, that you can't do a clean install of a Vista upgrade. Ever.

What this means is that if you later decide to reinstall Vista, and you want to wipe your HDD, you will then have to install XP first, then upgrade it.

I read this somewhere on a Microsoft site but can't find it again now. Hazy memory....
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Nope, you install the upgrade version, don't put the key in and when finished, run the upgrade again this time entering the key and activating. The method is even mentioned in the MS forums.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Right, so you can't just do a single clean install - you've still got to install twice then? What a palaver! Worth knowing though.
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.
                      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

So here is the update:

Over the weekend I tried doing a clean install from a formated HD on my second computer. It fly's through all the steps but, again stops during the "completing Installation" So I called MS and started the process of requesting a new disk.

I have to say I was surprised how easy it was just Name, Address, and part number of old disk then BANG I'll have it in 3 days.

Hopefully I will get a good copy this time.

Comment

Ok so new update:

I got the new disk in the mail the other day and tried installing it.

SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!!!!

So I have tried two different computers, two different disks, both an upgrade and full "clean" install, same result it locks up during the completing upgrade stage.

So here is what I am thinking. If I try and find all common threads between both computers I have this:

1) A KVM swich-- Both computers are connected to a KVM switch. Since I am not sure what the completing upgrade stage requires if it is not finding a keyboard and mouse directly connected to the computer maybe it is causing the upgrade to lock up. If anyone knows what occurrs during this stage please let me know if this could be an issue with the KVM.

2) Driver updates-- If I remember right there was a spot that had mentioned that I should go to the windows update site and download all current hardware drivers. I did not do that on either computer for the simple reason that I have had trouble with microsoft drivers in the past. I rember more than one instance where I downloaded a new video driver from MS and I was unable to use my computer since the new driver caused the video card to fail (black screen only).

Those are the only two common threads between the computers that I can think of that would cause them to lock up during the upgrade at the same spot.

Thoughts anyone since I am now totally confused
                          Last edited by kxcntry99; 6th April 2007, 15:11.

Comment

1) Bypass KVM and run keyboard, mouse and monitor direct.

2) Select the MS updates during the install.

If it still fails........, remove any devices that are NOT necessary to the install process. Eg. disconnect printer, scanner, remove and addon cards, card readers, sound card (if not onboard), strip it back to basic.

Run Memtest on the RAM to make sure it doesn't have a bad chip.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the help biggles. I have been selecting MS updates during the install but I will have to try taking the KVM out of the equation.

I just can't figure out why I am having so many troubles. Its not like I am a n00b at this kind of stuff!?!?!? I have done more OS installs than I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X