Vista Redirecting My Documents when it shouldn't

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Redirecting My Documents when it shouldn't

Windows Vista Keeps redirecting the "My documents" to a share on the server when it shouldn't. It does this to any user loging on to my vista PC which is part of the 2003 server domain. We do you group policys for XP machines but no policies are set for the vista machine and the users. Also there is nothing in the profile of the users to use a roaming profile.
    I was doing some testing a few weeks ago with vista roaming profiles and folder redirection which worked, i then deleted the group polices and profiles of the test users but for some reason last week every user that i log onto the Vista machine, it redirects the my documents to one of the profiles of the test users.
    It also doesnt seem to create a local profile properly and gives you the older style task bar.

All very strange so any advice would be great as i cant seem to solve it!!

Re: Vista Redirecting My Documents when it shouldn't

As you have not had a reply on this and TBH I can't find anything on this problem, sounds like a OS corruption. I would suggest re-install or ou might get away with a repair.
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ive reinstalled Vista logged in an still the same thing. Its as if its pulling down a group policy that simply isnt there anymore (at least it doesnt show in GP Management console.

Comment

have you tried running GPMC group policy result wizard? It will give you the winnig gpos that are affecting the machine and specific user you run it against.

if the machine is applying a gpo that houses folder redirection, the gpo result will show youi whats the name of the policy. you can then track it down.

you can also isolate which specific domain controller is authenticating you, maybe you have a dc that still has a stale copy. You can use kertray tool from windows 2003 resource tool kit. That will tell you the authenticating server. Then hop onto that server and run the gpo result wizard.

Comment

did you ever find a solution to this?

i am having the same exact problem. only discovered when my "roaming profile was not completely saved" due to a 14GB?!?!? profile. it is redirecting everything under the username.

Comment

I haven't found if this is actually something that Microsoft programmed in, but:

Apparently, when you set up the profile path for the user (\\server\profile\%username%), it also automatically redirects Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. to the same path.

Maybe this was done to make redirecting easier without using GPO?

Comment

Actually, when you enter such path for the user profile, it means you've just created a "roaming user profile". Check here for more information:
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316353
              http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324749
              Last edited by Miroslav Jeftic; 28th June 2007, 21:29.

Comment

Working...
              X