Vista PC Freezes - Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista PC Freezes - Help!

Hi all, I am new to this forum and found it after looking for help with my new Vista system. I have purchased a brand new built PC with Vista home premium newly installed and I am having a serious problem .

Its a;
    Pentium D 64 bit dual core processor 3.4mhz,
    775 pin 1066mhz mother board,
    2gb ddr memory,
    ATI 256mb graphics card,
    250gb sata hard disk.

I have had the usual driver problems (Vista not accepting HP driver for printer etc) but my problem is that the system completely freezes at random , without being able to CTRL/ALT/DEL. It can happen seconds after boot-up, or hours after, regardless of what I'm running. I can however guarantee that it will freeze as soon as I run Colin McRea 4 (after you have selected your car etc and go to "race" it just stops), but this is the only game I have installed and the system was freezig before I installed the game anyway.

The only thing I can do is hit the re-set button and re-boot.

Lots of threads on Microsofts Vista Community, and I have tried all the advice (pulling all USB devices, lan/modem, un-checking HD index caching, diabling all the power options, etc.) but I still have the freezing problem.

I haven't installed much of anything on my PC so am pretty condfident it isn's something I have done and that it is Vista causing the problem . The only thing I haven't tried is changing my BIOS settings but I'm not sure what I'm doing on that so haven't meddled (yet!).

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Re: Vista PC Freezes - Help!

This may not be the answer you want - but take it back to the shop! You have your rights when you buy new stuff.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I have spoken to the company who advise that it's Vista which is the problem (not the hardware) and I should contact Microsoft as I have already activated the Vista licence (and accepted the terms of the EULA). Do you still think I can return it (it's not a month old yet)?

I would actually like to sort out the problem as I like the PC and would like Vista to work (I know there were similar problems with XP, 200, 98 etc when they were released)
      Paul.

Comment

Is the Vista version an OEM version installed by the system builder or is it a full retail version purchased by you and given to the system builder to install? If it is an OEM version then Microsoft will refer you to the OEM vendor.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not sure where you live. But in the UK there is a Sales of Goods Act which retailers CANNOT get out of, no matter how many terms and conditions they impose, and agreeing to the EULA makes no difference. The fact is, the goods have to be of merchantable quality and "fit for purpose".

Don't let the shop fob you off with the old "Ring MS" routine - they just cannot do it. Sorry to say, I really think it's money-back time
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I live in the UK near Manchester, so will give the company a call to replace the system. The Vista pack was installed by the company, not a retail purchase, so they did the install and provided me with the Vista OEM disc pack (no manuals) etc.

Thanks for your advice, I was really hoping to get Vista working though.

Cheers,
            Paul.

Comment

OEM, then MS will not talk to you. As Paul said, take it back to the manufacturer. There may be a confilict with the video card that they don't know about. Is yours listed here? http://ati.amd.com/technology/window.../Products.html
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sounds like a BAD OS INSTALL to me. I'd just dump the drives and do a Full Reinstall of the OS and all the Drivers updated. And then if it still Does it. Take it back and say Pay Me.
                "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by pclinc View Post
                  Sounds like a BAD OS INSTALL to me. I'd just dump the drives and do a Full Reinstall of the OS and all the Drivers updated. And then if it still Does it. Take it back and say Pay Me.
                  Alway listen the wise elder.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Agreed.

Also, in a similar vein, I would strongly recommend to anyone buying a Vista PC or laptop, do not get one that the shop has installed Vista onto - get one the manufacturer has installed Vista on.
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                    X