Vista instalation problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista instalation problems

I've tried all Vista from beta, RC and now the final Vista.

I've had problems with instalation on this platform and I'm not the only one:

MSI 975x power-up edition

Pentium D 945

Infineon 2x512DDR2

MSI 7600GT

If anybody knows the solutions I'll be gratefull. And, by the way..I've tried almost everything.

Re: Vista instalation problems

Whats your question??

What installation issues are you having???

More info is needed.

Comment

Issues:

Boot vista from dvd....loading files....instalation...complete instalation (30%)...first reboot, after this in attempt to complete instalation (~70%) mouse is frozen..and the system.

MSI 975x has 2 IDE (one is controlled by Jmicron for wich vista doesn't have drivers) so I've connected master DVD-slave HDD on the other one IDE wich is not controlled by Jmicron and I have all problems above.

Comment

First thing to check would be your memory.

Download and run memtest86.

Comment

Everything ok with memory.

Memtest and microsoft - no reported problems

Comment

Is the JMicron a RAID controller??

Comment

Yes Mr. Right is about that Jmicron, but I've disabled it from Bios and by the time of vista instalation I've instaled DVD-master and HDD slave on that IDE wich is not controlled by Jmicron to avoid that problem.

Comment

Try putting the HDD on the Primary IDE controller as the master and the DVD as the Secondary Master and try again.

Comment

Problem solved. Thanks a lot wullieb1. It was already put on primary.

The solution resides in BIOS

Comment

BTW you should always install HDD's as master drives on any normal/non RAID channel.

What was the solution???

Posting back with it will no doubt help others in the future.

Comment

Here we go,

So this solution is good for those who have mobo: MSI 975X -Platinum Edition (V2), could work also for other MSI mobo (e.g MSI 975X-Platinum) and try to install vista on a IDE HDD.

1.Bios settings

Integrated Peripherals - Onboard JMB361 Mode - Disabled
                      Integrated Peripherals - IDE Devices Configuration - PCI IDE BusMaster - Enabled
                      Integrated Peripherals - SATA Devices Configuration - Sata Mode - RAID

2. HDD and DVD connection

As long you've disabled the Jmicron you should connect these 2 above on that blue IDE connector from mobo, the yellow one is controlled by Jmicron. The order is not important(master, slave) and as long anytime all HDD are bellow DVD in the case, it is natural to put DVD-Master and the HDD-Slave (but here is your option)

3. HDD with partitions and XP already installed (my case)

After you put (change) those settings in Bios as 1.), boot XP, it's gonna ask you about new hardware (RAID)..install drivers from mobo CD or Jmicron...restart (with vista inside your DVD)..start instalation (30min with Pentium D 945)..enjoy..should be no more headaches.

4. New HDD

After you put (change) those settings in Bios as 1.), boot from vista dvd..installing.
                      If you still have that "frozen" problem..start again the instalation and in that moment when you'll have a screen with your partition(s) you'll find in that window "load external drivers". Be prepared wit a CD with Jmicron drivers and install them.
                      After this should be OK.
                      If not, we're gonna think and we'll find the solution

Good Luck!

Comment

Excellent.

Thanks for coming back with your answer.

Comment

It's alright wullieb..anytime.

I've wrote something unclear in my last post. It is about 2 mobo models from MSI:
                          975X Platinum Edition and 975X Platinum Power-Up Edition (or V.2)...you can distinguish from the first sight ...the first one has a round cooler with a fan and the V.2 has a rectangle cooler (section) with no fan (referred to 975 chipset).

Regarding these two mobos you can encountered almost the same problem also with 2003 Server, but in the other way...after you start AD and the other network services, after first reboot could freeze at boot.

Comment

Hello everyone, I need help with same situation. I have not tried CristianDan's solution yet because I have a S-ATA drive installed instead of IDE.

I will test it out first, my system also hangs at ~70% installation process area, have the following also.

MSI 975X Platinum Edition Power Up Edition(V.2)
                            WD 160 Gig S-ATA HDD
                            2 Gigs of Memory
                            7600 GT Video Card
                            LiteOn DVD/RW Combo

I don't see why S-ATA settings need to be changed to RAID in settings, but I'll try that too. Hopefully it will not hang towards completion of installation of Vista. I will check my settings in the BIOS for the 10th + time to see if all is ok. Jmicron is disabled and have the DVD drive connected to the blue connector, S-ATA drive to one of the 4 purple color S-ATA ports. Works good with XP HOME.

Please help out with any solutions, I will try CristianDan's bios settings, i'm to familiar with the mouse and system hanging in the same spot. Seing this post brings some light to my problem.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by techi View Post
                              Hello everyone, I need help with same situation. I have not tried CristianDan's solution yet because I have a S-ATA drive installed instead of IDE.

I will test it out first, my system also hangs at ~70% installation process area, have the following also.

MSI 975X Platinum Edition Power Up Edition(V.2)
                              WD 160 Gig S-ATA HDD
                              2 Gigs of Memory
                              7600 GT Video Card
                              LiteOn DVD/RW Combo

I don't see why S-ATA settings need to be changed to RAID in settings, but I'll try that too. Hopefully it will not hang towards completion of installation of Vista. I will check my settings in the BIOS for the 10th + time to see if all is ok. Jmicron is disabled and have the DVD drive connected to the blue connector, S-ATA drive to one of the 4 purple color S-ATA ports. Works good with XP HOME.

Please help out with any solutions, I will try CristianDan's bios settings, i'm to familiar with the mouse and system hanging in the same spot. Seing this post brings some light to my problem.

Thank you.
                              This thread is closed.

Please start your own thread with your errors and we will be able to help you better.

Comment

Working...
                              X