Vista on NT 4 Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista on NT 4 Domain

For the past week or so I've been working on building some images of Vista for our QA Department and have come across a nasty roadblock of not being able to add Vista to our NT 4 domain. Everytime I go to add the system it comes back with and error, "Unknown username or bad password".

I searched the internet for answers and found the following suggestions:
    • Disable IPv6
    • Enable NetBIOS
    • Modify "NTVLM2 responses only" to "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security" in LAN Manager under Local Security Policy
    • Disable "Domain Member: Digitally Encrypt or sign secure channel data (always)" in Local Security Policy

I tried all of these. None seemed to work. Finally I found the suggestion that I had to go into the PDC and add the computer name of the Vista PC to the Server Manager then make the LM and NTLM changes as well as the Domain Member changes. I did this and it worked. But, I've always learned that you only make one change at a time so that in the future you always know exactly what to change without making more changes than necessary.

So, I went back to the PDC and removed the computer from the domain. I changed all the settings on the Vista box back to their normal configuration and put it back into a workgroup. I tried joining the domain again and was able to reproduce the problem. From here, the only thing I did was log into the PDC and add the computer name to the Server Manager without making any additional security changes or network changes to the Vista PC. I was able to authenticate to the domain without issues.

Anyhow, since I was never able to find a fairly straight forward explanation to my question, I thought I'd post my results on this board in hopes to help other people in the future.

Good luck all,
    -Phrancie

Re: Vista on NT 4 Domain

I think the question is why?...

Shourly your priority would be to upgrade your Domain to Windows 2003 before you introduce Vista!

NT4 server is also no longer suport my Microsoft and the pay-per-incident has also stopped:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

I would concentrate on upgrading your domain before looking into Vista.

Just my 2pence worth

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Certainly sounds like a huge business risk to me... sticking with NT 3 years ago was risky - but now?!

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The thing is NT4 still works and does the job that businesses need it to do.

Only last year i was supporting a compnay that was still using NT4 and would not move from it.

Back to the OP's question

I've never tried but i don't think it can be done. Let me get an NT server image done and test it.

Comment

Part of our business is QA testing. Our QA testers need to run a variety of operating systems going back to Windows 95, NT 4, 98....etc. We've had to support these operating systems on the network instead of splitting them away into a private network. Now that our customers aren't requiring these old OSes to be tested against, we are looking to do the upgrade to 2003 and AD.

Wullieb1, there really wasn't a question in my post. I had already answered my question and was just trying to share something I found.

-Phaldyne

Comment

Originally posted by phrancie View Post
            Part of our business is QA testing. Our QA testers need to run a variety of operating systems going back to Windows 95, NT 4, 98....etc. We've had to support these operating systems on the network instead of splitting them away into a private network. Now that our customers aren't requiring these old OSes to be tested against, we are looking to do the upgrade to 2003 and AD.

Wullieb1, there really wasn't a question in my post. I had already answered my question and was just trying to share something I found.

-Phaldyne
            The thing is though it should be doable and i'm going to test it out and see what outcome i get.

Comment

Working...
            X