About Deploying Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Deploying Vista

Was reading the November issue of Technet and a few things caught my eye.

-Not exactly related to deploying but this addresses the issue of the user needing to be a member of the Administrator's group to run certain apps:
    With Windows Vista, applications that attempt to write to restricted areas will have those writes transparently redirected to other locations in the user's profile.
    -Windows Vista Is Componentized (read the article for details)

-An unattended install is done with an XML file and only requires one.

-No More HAL Complications!!
    the operating system is able to detect which HAL is required and automatically install it
    -Deployment Is Language-Neutral (and so will be most hotfixes)

Read more at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...t/default.aspx
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: About Deploying Vista

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
    -No More HAL Complications!!
    Oh my god! That is fantastic!!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I think its more the space that the damn thing takes up.

Imean in our enviornment we will need to upgrade most of our machines to be even capable of running it first.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. Starting at 2GB compressed, you'll definitely need some upgraded hardware if you want to make deployment easy.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I may eventually just use a small dedicated server away from the main network to image the machines first just to remove the burden on both the file server and the network.

Now i'm thinking too far infornt. We ain't SUPPOSED to be getting it for another year at least.

Comment

We will wait for longhorn server and then probably wait until sp1 to be honest - so 2008 maybe. Then vistas replacment should be on its way out! Every three years did Balmer say?
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I'm sure i read somewhere that the replacement is already in the opipeline and is codenamed venice.

I'll try and dig out where i read it from.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                I'm sure i read somewhere that the replacement is already in the opipeline and is codenamed venice.

I'll try and dig out where i read it from.
                Vista will be obsolete before it's available for general consumption!!
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I know of Vista running in a school on Celeron 2.4, onboard video, 256MB RAM. It has ALL the enhancements stripped out and it runs very nice with the Classic Interface. You only need the upgraded hardware if you want oll the new toys in it.

Personally I will NOT be deploying Vista into any schools until 2010! XP works just fine thank you.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    I know of Vista running in a school on Celeron 2.4, onboard video, 256MB RAM. It has ALL the enhancements stripped out and it runs very nice with the Classic Interface. You only need the upgraded hardware if you want oll the new toys in it.

Personally I will NOT be deploying Vista into any schools until 2010! XP works just fine thank you.
                    I've tried installing Vista Beta on a machine that had 256MB RAM and it failed. Wouldn't even let me install it as it only had 256MB.

This may not be the case with other bersions as i just don't know.

Comment

Vista needs 512MB RAM to install. This is well publicised.

Back to deployment: It's not as easy to use Windows Depolyment Services (Windows DS) as Microsoft makes out.

If you want to see a really elegant deployment mechanism for Vista, you should check our Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0. It's what Vista deployment should be like!

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post
                        If you want to see a really elegant deployment mechanism for Vista, you should check our Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0. It's what Vista deployment should be like!
                        Define "OUR".
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Typo for "Out"?

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

a possibility
                            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                              I've tried installing Vista Beta on a machine that had 256MB RAM and it failed. Wouldn't even let me install it as it only had 256MB.

This may not be the case with other bersions as i just don't know.
                              Quite right. Meant to put 512. My apologies if I caused you to waste time.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X