No announcement yet.

PDF Files being locked on Win 8..

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Files being locked on Win 8..

I am afraid some program is locking my PDF files, is this a virus?

Re: PDF Files being locked on Win 8..

Without knowing a lot more it is impossible to say.

What AV scans have you run?
    What PDF software do you have?
    What do you mean by "file being locked"? Can you open but not save, can't delete, something else?

If it is a domain, has your admin put any restrictions in place?

Is there anything in the event logs?

What is the relevance of the link you posted?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: PDF Files being locked on Win 8..

A work colleague of mine has just come across the same thing on Win7 boxes. It appears to be a known bug when printing from Adobe. TMP files are created in our users' roaming profile folders which are locked until the PC restarts. But at user logoff, since the system has the files locked, the Policy-driven cached profile deletion from the client fails. And that causes issues down the line, not least of which is hard drive space taken over by remnants of profiles which shouldn't be accumulating.

We only came across this late last week, we're looking into how to resolve the orphaned profile files thru scripted deletion because there's no immediate solution for the locked files.
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **