Progams list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progams list

I bought myself a cheap new Toshiba Satellite C50-B-140 laptop. It only has a 500Gb drive ample for me and not a touch screen, as I get enough pain in my arm using a mouse for hours without waving it all over the 15 in screen.

Have you any idea where the fools have now hidden the all important equivalent PROGRAMS list in this Win 8.1 formally under the Start Button. Toshiba have probably messed up the usual layout of Win 8.1 I suspect.

I can swap from the silly big desktop for tablets to the classic XP one where I have managed to import all my shortcuts. But neither show a replica of the old Start button as I thought was possible. In fact the only way I can close down is to swap back to the big tablet desktop.

Re: Progams list

If you need a like for like start menu, install Classic Shell (freeware) and it will give you (near as dammit) the Win7 Start menu.

In 8.1 you have a start BUTTON back, but obviously a menu to go with it would be too much. Instead you go to the Start SCREEN and then have a down arrow to show all the former start MENU items
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Classic Shell Menu - Try that Gordon. It's the one I use and it looks soooo much like Windows 10. It also allows you to swap between the Win8.1 interface and the ClassicShell menu.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks I have now installed the excellent Classic Shell Menu, pity MS seem incapable of creating it.

The Icon changed to the existing Desktop Swap, likewise if a START option appears to the right it is just another desktop swap.

The usual Ctrl or Alt + PrintScreen fails to copy the screen but the Windows Snipping Tool works OK

Comment

Check the Classic Shell options - they use their own start button but you can use others.

I don't think it affects the PrintScreen options - I have no difficulty with them
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
            ... In fact the only way I can close down is to swap back to the big tablet desktop.
            Certainly in Win 8.1 if you right-click the 'Start' button in the bottom left of the screen a Shut Down menu appears (along with other useful system progs).
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X