Trackball doesn't work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trackball doesn't work

I don't yet understand whether this is is a software or hardware issue however, the trackball on my laptop appears not to work intermittently whilst when attaching an external USB mouse it works.

The mouse pointer just does not move and the keyboard still works but for some applications and games I am using I need a trackball or a mouse at least.

How do I go about troubleshooting the problem before I dismantle the laptop looking for a hardware problem that is probably phantom?

Re: Trackball doesn't work

Did you say "trackball" - I haven't seen a laptop with one of those since <deity> knows when. Do you really mean a trackpad or one of those mini stick things (normal name redacted as this is a family board)?
    What make/model is the laptop?

Regardless, I would look at drivers first and try either updating or rolling back
    You could also see if there is an "autodisable" option that turns it off when an external pointing device is connected
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X