Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 Network issue

Dear All,
    I have a desktop with windows 8.1 OS.when I lock screen the network connection is dropping

after I unlock the screen I need to wait for 5 minutes to connect to the network

I unchecked the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in power management tab and selected the settings of wireless network adapter in power option as Maximum performance

but still same problem

please help me to resolve the issue

Re: Windows 8.1 Network issue

What type of network connection are you using? Wired - wireless?

Open Device Manager from Control Panel and expand the section marked Network Adaptors. Your network card(s) model will be listed. Right click your card and choose Properties. When the properties dialog appears select the Power Management tab.

You will (or may depending on model) see several options that allow you to control power saving options and link speed options when idle/sleeping/etc. Disable all of them and click OK. Your network may be temporarily disconnected while the new settings take effect so make sure you are not using the Internet, uploading/downloading email etc., when you do this.

I'm surprised that it takes 5mins for the connection to come back up. Is this in a business environment or a home environment? Either way, have you looked at your application and system event logs when the network is down to see if any warnings/errors are reported?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      What type of network connection are you using? Wired - wireless?

Open Device Manager from Control Panel and expand the section marked Network Adaptors. Your network card(s) model will be listed. Right click your card and choose Properties. When the properties dialog appears select the Power Management tab.

You will (or may depending on model) see several options that allow you to control power saving options and link speed options when idle/sleeping/etc. Disable all of them and click OK. Your network may be temporarily disconnected while the new settings take effect so make sure you are not using the Internet, uploading/downloading email etc., when you do this.

I'm surprised that it takes 5mins for the connection to come back up. Is this in a business environment or a home environment? Either way, have you looked at your application and system event logs when the network is down to see if any warnings/errors are reported?
      Sir, I am using wired connection. I already unchecked the option in Network card power management (my previous post I mentioned) but still same issue

in event log showing Warring message Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is disconnected from network.(attached event log)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by VMware; 13th February 2015, 05:14.

Comment

OK, thanks for that. Is it a home PC or is it in a work environment?

Do you have any other software running that may be affecting the connection. I'm thinking of software that controls the card or does other things such as compressing your network data so that it 'speeds up' your connection.

When you unlock the PC do you wait for the connection to be establish itself? Can you right-click the adaptor and connect to the network manually?

Is there anything else you have tried to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          OK, thanks for that. Is it a home PC or is it in a work environment?

Do you have any other software running that may be affecting the connection. I'm thinking of software that controls the card or does other things such as compressing your network data so that it 'speeds up' your connection.

When you unlock the PC do you wait for the connection to be establish itself? Can you right-click the adaptor and connect to the network manually?

Is there anything else you have tried to fix this?
          it is in work environment. We have installed only office 365,adobe reader softwares to all users. Default windows 8.1 apps installed with Operating system

all machines are in domain.we have DHCP server.it will get connected to the network after 2-5 minutes once I unlock the screen
          Last edited by VMware; 13th February 2015, 09:52.

Comment

Can you manually connect to the network by right-clicking the network adaptor and choosing Connect as soon as the PC is unlocked?

Do you have any 'smart' devices between the computer and the rest of the network?

Does the network go down when the PC is locked or after it is unlocked? You can test this by connecting to an Internet radio station and locking the PC and seeing if it continues to play. But, I have to say that I have seen Internet connections to radio stations maintained when the Internet has not been reachable by other clients - but it is still worth checking.

Comment

Have you updated the drivers for the card?

Find here

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...Level=5&Conn=4

Comment

Working...
              X