Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The UAC feature and classic access

Hi

How do I make sure that when, the UAC window is displayed in each type of account, the Username and Password fields are empty and editable?

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

Re: The UAC feature and classic access

Any non-admin accounts will be prompted for the username and password. If the account is an administrator then all they need to do is click yes since they already have the rights to perform the task. If you don't want users to make system changes, make sure they are not in the administrators group.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

IIRC there is a group policy setting that will prompt even administrators for credentials instead of just asking them to confirm the elevation
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In other words, I would need that, in the Username field, no user name is automatically displayed in the UAC window for security reasons.

Thanks

Bye
        balubeto

Comment

Does UAC normally remember the admin user name when it is set up to prompt for credentials? - I thought it did not

Presumably the first time it runs, there is no user name displayed
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it took me 5 minutes to determine that there was possibly a group policy option that would control this.

It took me another 10 minutes to look through some relevant GPO options and identify some that would be useful.

it would probably take me another 30 minutes or so to create a test OU, join a computer to it, enforce the policy and test my outcomes.

but i'm not going to do that, because it's your job.

i also don't know enough about what you're trying to acheive. for instance, I can see an alternative way to possibly acheive something similar to what you want - or to at least reduce the risk threshold in that only administrators would see the previous usernames.

but again, that's you're job. There are GPOs to do this, and I hazard a guess that if you spent as much time looking throug them and testing permutations as you spent asking people on forums to do your job for you, you'd figure it out.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X