Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the name and description of a volume image

Hi

I am using Windows 8.1 Update and Windows ADK.

How do I change the name and description of a volume image stored in a wim file?

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

Re: Changing the name and description of a volume image

I refer you to an answer to a different post:
    There is a very helpful, but clearly little used, website called , which can be quite useful in cases like this
    To solve your problem:
    1. Open a web browser
    2. Navigate to www.google.com
    3. Type a suitable search (e.g. change the name and description of a volume image stored in a wim file) in the box - note that was taken directly from your first post
    4. Review the results
    5. Select a suitable one
    6. Follow the instructions
    I'm not going to bother posting a link, but I found an answer to your question within 30 seconds

Have you ever considered an alternative career that does not involve IT?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Apparently, the imageX command is been deprecated from Windows ADK. So, what command should I use to do this?

Thanks

Bye
      Last edited by balubeto; 4th October 2014, 16:51.
      balubeto

Comment

Try here..
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

I am using Windows 8.1 Update and Windows ADK.

How do I change the name and description of a volume image stored in a wim file without use the ImageX command?

Thanks

Bye
          balubeto

Comment

You could consider a Hex-Editor

Or review the answers to (one of) your other threads https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w8itproinstall

A quick reference to (please consider using it, or maybe get your butler to do it ) gives a 3rd party alternative: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/wimli...native-to.html
            Admittedly you will need to learn Linux to use it, but I'm sure that will result in many forum posts on its own....

Why do you want to do this anyway?
            Last edited by Ossian; 16th October 2014, 12:06.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

If I use the command

Code:
              Dism /Commit-Image /MountDir:"<Mount_Directory_Path>" /Append /CheckIntegrity
              to add a volume image modified, how should I do to set the name and description of the new image without using the ImageX command or wimlib utility?

Thanks

Bye
              balubeto

Comment

Since you have ruled out one third party tool already, I presume gimagex is also out of the question.

Have you considered (despite imagex being deprecated) using it anyway - as far as I know you can use an older AIK version to manipulate newer WIM files (in certain ways, anyway). Try it with a copy of an image and let us know the result.

Again, why do you need to do this? - you have spent so much time asking how to change the name/description of an image that you probably could have created several fresh (and correctly named) images instead

Also please tell us what research you have done yourself (besides spamming half the internet with the same question), and why you have ruled out every alternative that has been suggested to you.

Have you also considered the possibility that DISM does not do what you want it to - from checking the (PowerShell) documentation, only Add-WindowsImage and New-WindowsImage include the -description switch. Given that, you might be able to extract from one image into a new one with a different description but it appears that changing an existing image does not allow you to.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X