No announcement yet.

ASUS Instant On

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Instant On

Some ASUS Laptops have an optional Instant On option with WIN 7 or 8 as below. If you leave them permanently connected to the mains under the SLEEP setting they come back on in a few seconds. Would any of you be willing to leave any laptop continuously on and connected? Also how does it reboot such when MS installs updates?

A friend complains if she closes it down completely it takes ages to restart.

Re: ASUS Instant On

Its not just ASUS, most computer BIOSes support sleep mode - basically very low (trickle) power to keep the processor and RAM ticking over - and yes, I would be happy to do that.

An alternative is hibernate, so saving the RAM contents then powering off, which speeds boot up very dramatically
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Yes I would and I do.

My main system is connected at all times, other than a reboot.

I must admit I do keep my HIFI always connected to the mains along with the TV, Video, and Sky Box, and even a Clock alarm. But then they are all designed to stay connected on standby.

But I understood anything with batteries needing recharging should best be unplugged and only plugged into the mains when needing recharging. How many batteries over a year or so old would hold their charge for up to 21 days anyway? So the Instant ON would probably oblige you to risk leaving the laptop etc connected all the time.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          An alternative is hibernate, so saving the RAM contents then powering off, which speeds boot up very dramatically
          Not necessarily now I'm afraid. With my previous laptop I always used hibernation instead of shutting it down and rebooting when I wanted to use it again. Purchased a new one and followed the same regime but it was taking a bit longer to come out of hibernation; 8GB RAM can have then effect.

Replaced the HDD, 500GB 7,200rpm, that the laptop came with and installed a Seagate SSHD. Hibernation restart is now a lot SLOWER than a cold boot. Shutting down is still about the same as hibernating but it is the start-up that is so much quicker, almost as quick as an SSD. 16GB and 32GB RAM in a laptop is going to kill hibernation on anything except an SSD (IMO).

Sorry Gordon, bit I'm afraid however for your device that has either 2GB or 4GB RAM the hibernation would be my option of choice.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015