No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for a visually imapired Windows 8 user?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for a visually imapired Windows 8 user?

I have a friend who is visually impaired, but not completely blind. Against my wishes she purchased a Windows 8 laptop, and now I am trying to help her learn how to use it. I have tried most of the tricks that worked for her on Windows XP (such as bumping up the DPI by several hundred percent), but she is still finding it very difficult to use her new laptop. She just can't find her way around the new interface - she keeps getting "lost".

Do any of you have any experience working with visually impaired individuals? If so, do you have any suggestions for making Windows 8 more accessible? If there is a commercial product out there that could help I would buy it for her, so please do not feel limited by the built in accessibility options (especially since I have already tried them - although I am pretty much a novice when it comes to accessibility).

Thank you so much in advance!

Re: Any suggestions for a visually imapired Windows 8 user?

Classic Shell will add a Start Menu and make it function more like previous Windows versions. It doesn't do much for accessibility, I don't think, but it would provide for a more familiar environment. Also, Windows key shortcuts could come in handy, most notably Winkey + E to open Windows Explorer, and Winkey + X to open a small menu with all sorts of useful shortcuts. Navigating via keyboard isn't as sight-dependent as eyeing a mouse pointer for the proper place to click.