Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying large files from a USB.

Hello,

This didn't happen to me not in XP, Vista , nor in Wndows 7.

I am trying to copy some large files (5GB, 12GB...) from a USB hard disk, to my laptop (Windows 8.1). Nothing doing.

It is puzzling because I can copy them to a XP machine I have (physical, not VMWare or Hyper-V).

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: Copying large files from a USB.

Just a thought - is the target drive formatted as NTFS or possibly as FAT32 (in which case the files are over the (IIRC 4Gb) limit

You can check by opening Computer, right clicking on the local (target) drive and PROPERTIES
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Just a thought - is the target drive formatted as NTFS or possibly as FAT32 (in which case the files are over the (IIRC 4Gb) limit

You can check by opening Computer, right clicking on the local (target) drive and PROPERTIES
      Thanks Ossian.

It is NTFS for sure (Windows 8, brand new laptop).
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

OK -but I would double check to be sure

What actual messages are you getting?
        (Errors / Warnings / ???)
        What happens
        a) when you try copying laptop to usb
        b) Copy using the command prompt?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK -but I would double check to be sure

What actual messages are you getting?
          (Errors / Warnings / ???)
          What happens
          a) when you try copying laptop to usb
          b) Copy using the command prompt?
          I have just checked it: NTFS file system.

a) That is when the error occurs, sorry about this. I think I said it was from the usb hard disk to the laptop fixed hard disk....it is the other way around!, sorry!!.
          The thing is that this USB disk is used to backup a XP physical box, so, Acronis puts large files into this disk without any issues, on a daily basics.

b) The disk is in another location now , let me get back to you when I am able to perform it.

Really grateful for your help!. And sorry for misleading the solution by saying it was from the USB hard disk to the laptop's hard disk.
          Last edited by loureed4; 7th May 2014, 19:42.
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

OK, so to (re)confirm - the USB drive is also NTFS?
            (and from what you say, it should be)

Do you get an error message - if so, what does it say (post screenshot please)?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

OK, so to (re)confirm - the USB drive is also NTFS?
              (and from what you say, it should be)

Do you get an error message - if so, what does it say (post screenshot please)?

Yes, the USB hard disk MUST be NTFS because in the XP physical box I copy large files (from Acronis' Backing up the system).

I don't remember the exact error message, something very general, like: "It is not possible to copy such large a file of 5GB."

To add something: I have my vmware machines split into 2GB-lenght files, and those, the Windows 8 can pass them into the USB hard disk. I say this because it may be the 2GB-limit issue, but that wouldn't be strange, since it does not happen from the XP machine to the USB hard disk.

When I get back this USB hard disk, I will be able to test what you advise me to, and then I will post it in here.

THANKS!
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

If you can stand losing everything on the USB drive, consider reformatting it (no particular reason, but gives yo ua fresh start) and please post the exact error message or better still a screenshot
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Apologogies !! :

The USB drive is FAT32 , and I was trying to copy from my laptop to it, and not the other way around.

I was under pressure at that time, and I come back two months later to apologize , I have reread it the whole thing and I am puzzled of my own replies.

AGAIN: It all comes down to the USB disk being FAT32 and therefore not being able to grab larger files than 2 GB, so easy !! , cry:

Acronis could put files larger than 2GB into the USB disck because Acronis makes the copy on the fly , if I am not mistake, so, it increases every second the size of the file.

I hope I can make for my clumsiness!!
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the solution, and don't worry about making a mistake - I do on a regular basis (normally by getting up in the morning )
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Thanks for the understanding.

I am trying now to perfoRm a NTFS conversion of the USB drive, but I cannot, I suppose I must open a new thread.

THANKS A LOT !!
                      -
                      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

The normal syntax is (in an elevated cmd prompt):
                        CONVERT F: /fs:ntfs

(replace F: with the drive letter in question)
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Thanks Ossian,

I did so but I get an error. I post it in the hardware section, it seemed appropriate to me to open a new thread.

I am very thankful for your help !!
                          -
                          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
                            AGAIN: It all comes down to the USB disk being FAT32 and therefore not being able to grab larger files than 2 GB, so easy !! , cry:
                            The file limitation on FAT32 is 4GB - 1 byte not 2GB. That is FAT16.

Comment

Thanks Wullieb1 !!
                              -
                              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                              X