Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force Win8 to ask for wireless password

Hi

Last week we had a new member of staff start who bought in a Win8 laptop. When I connected it to our wireless network it requested the wireless router's pin. After it had this it connected.

Does anyone know how I can disable this feature and force Win8 to use the wireless key we have setup, please?

Searching the Internet is no help as the results default to how to set up a wireless connection in win8 (and nothing I saw addressed this pin issue), and I did not have time to trawl through the results to find a solution.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Force Win8 to ask for wireless password

disable WPS and configure WPA-2 and you wont have to deal with the PIN anymore. it can be disabled in the routers security menu depending on manufacturer.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks for replying.

The authentication type is set to WPA-PSK, encryption is set to AES.

I initially set it up this way because we have some older kit here and wanted to make sure that everything would be able to connect. However, I've never really understood this dark art...

Will setting it to WPA2 allow the older clients to connect. I don't want to set it to WPA2, then be out of the office if anyone is unable to connect. I've uploaded a small image showing the options.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
        Thanks for replying.

The authentication type is set to WPA-PSK, encryption is set to AES.

I initially set it up this way because we have some older kit here and wanted to make sure that everything would be able to connect. However, I've never really understood this dark art...

Will setting it to WPA2 allow the older clients to connect. I don't want to set it to WPA2, then be out of the office if anyone is unable to connect. I've uploaded a small image showing the options.
        find the WPS Settings and disable that
        what sort of wap is it ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I've no idea what type of WAP it is....

I have changed it to WPA2-PSK. Hopefully, everything will be OK.

Here are the present settings:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9638/70o4.jpg

It's a TP-Link TD-W8961ND

Comment

I'm not sure if these instructions apply to your WAP but here you go:
            http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=382

You should always disable WPS because it is extremely insecure... as bad or worse than WEP. If WPS is left on it is trivial to connect to the wireless network.

As far as the configuration goes, the association is using your PSK you've configured. The WPS process automatically sets it up. You may want to consider changing your PSK after you disable WPS.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks a lot

I'd not noticed the enable/disable WPS control... so have disabled it now!

Blimey

Thanks for the help :

Comment

Working...
              X