Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN connection adaptor not keeping settings

Hi

One of our staff has just started to use a VPN to connect to our network.

She is using a laptop with Windows 8 and had problems a week ago when she first set it up. She bought the laptop in to work and when I checked it I noticed the security settings for the encryption protocols in the VPN adaptor's Security settings were all unchecked. I ticked them and she was able to connect.

Today, she was unable to connect again. I checked the Remote Access events on the RRAS server and the same error was logged. I ran through the procedure to check the encryption settings with her and they had reverted to their previous state. Once she ticked them, she was able to connect.

Anyone else had this issue? I'd like to know how to ensure the settings stick.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: VPN connection adaptor not keeping settings

I have a vague feeling or memory that I might have experienced that, or something like that myself. It wasn't quite the way you describe though, and I don't have a solution unfortunately.

But at least you know you're not crazy or alone
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Could policy settings be pushing out the changes?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

@tehcamel: Thanks a lot. I'll put the tin-foil hat back in the cupboard hahaha

@Ossian: All the PC's that staff use from home are their own and have never been joined to our domain, so there are no policies from the domain filtering down to them or which have been applied.

Also, another staff member has a Windows 8 laptop they use from home and they have never had any issues with this.

The member of staff affected by this will be back in the office next week so I will ask her if she had any further issues.

Thanks again for responding

[Edit]
        I'm searching for GP adaptor settings and see there are wireless settings that can be applied. I'll check this out more thoroughly when I return to work and find out if it is possible to control this. Thanks!
        Last edited by Blood; 15th February 2014, 10:37.

Comment

Remember local policies got a lot "stronger" from Win7 onwards, and don't rule out user "fiddling"
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've seen a variation of this, and if your user deleted and recreated the VPN it would explain it.

Windows 8 doesn't seem to auto-detect VPN settings as well as Windows 7 did, at least not to what it considers are "down-level" endpoints such as Server 2008 R2. I haven't seen it happen to a 2012/R2 RRAS server though.

My personal preference is to use CMAK for things like this, as you know that the settings are correct and the end users can't make any changes that might stop it working.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks a lot, folks.

I spoke to her this morning and there have been no further issues.

I could not find anything specific to configuring a VPN, except through Group Policy preferences, but the options there are quite general.

I had tried CMAK last year (or perhaps the year before), but had no luck - I just could not get it to work.

Anyway, it seems OK at present. which is great

Comment

Working...
              X