Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V using physical disk

Hi,

I've installed Win 8.1 Enterprise and thought I'd finally try to see what Hyper-V is all about.
    At first glance, I like it a lot more than the VMware Player that I used, simply because it's much more integrated in the OS with quite some nice features.

I'm a bit stuck on it now though... I used to run a VM from a physical SSD. Without any problem, I can mount this disk in a new VM, but what I'd like to do is run that VM in Hyper-V from the physical disk.

I seem to be able to set it all up but when I start the VM, it says "No bootable device found".

Not sure if it matters, but the SSD contains a Linux Mint 15. It's got 3 partitions, /boot, LVM and a swap.

Really hope someone ran into similar problems and found a solution

Re: Hyper-V using physical disk

Is the drive offline in the host OS?

I haven't tried a boot volume, but have had no difficulty attaching additional drives in HyperV
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, like I said, I have no problem reading / writing to the disk when I attach the disk to another (running) VM.
      I just can't seem to boot from it when it's configured as a single disk in a new VM.
      I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, if there are any log files that can point me in the right direction... completely new to hyper-v

Comment

I think the problem is that the disk already has an OS installed on it. The VM's BIOS is probably not going to read the boot loader from the disk. The solution is probably going to be wiping the disk, attaching it, and installing the OS from within the VM.

Comment

I'm actually trying to avoid this, or I wouldn't have posted this thread . Is there any way that I could go into the BIOS settings with hyper-v, just like you can with VirtualBox or VMware - pressing F2 at boot? This doesn't seem to work in Hyper-V.

The physical disk contains an OS that was installed using VMware Player, but I'm sure all bootable flags are just normal for a physical disk. I can actually boot the OS on the host, outside of a Virtual environment, so the data on the disk is ALL very standard.

Comment

I ust jumped into mine (windows 8, but should be similar)

once I open the console of the guest, I can go file > settings and then there's a bios setting. But apart from that, no, there's no directly accessible bios through the guest like some other virtual vendors provide.

,aybe try this to work out if your disk is being identified on this guest:

add a cdrom device, with an iso as the loaded disk.
            boot off that, then check to see the disk appears.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              I ust jumped into mine (windows 8, but should be similar)

once I open the console of the guest, I can go file > settings and then there's a bios setting. But apart from that, no, there's no directly accessible bios through the guest like some other virtual vendors provide.

,aybe try this to work out if your disk is being identified on this guest:

add a cdrom device, with an iso as the loaded disk.
              boot off that, then check to see the disk appears.
              That's actually not a bad idea, but it's not working for the moment
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2779204 (this issue is currently under investigation by MS).

We have a Windows 2003 domain and it doesn't let me apply the GPO change (unrecognized account) and changing the local secpol.msc doesn't work (locked, even for the admin)

I'll have to put it in an OU without policies I guess but that'll have to wait until I have some time ...

"Dear Microsoft, why are you so mean to your customers?"

Comment

Originally posted by jakke View Post

"Dear Microsoft, why are you so mean to your customers?"
                Some sort of death wish, possibly?
                A little list of meannesses to start you off:
                TechNet
                Small Business Server
                Architect and Master Certifications
                Retiring certifications too quickly
                Pushing everyone into the cloud...
                The list could go on and on...

(Did I mention TechNet )
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X