Access 97 installation issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access 97 installation issue

Anyone know if you can install Access 97 on windows 8 64bit?

Client said he had done it but it has now stopped and anytime you try and open a database I get the error MS Acces cannot be started MS Access was unable to initialize the windows registry, tried re-running the installation but that will fail as well with Setup error says it can't access the off97pro.inf

Re: Access 97 installation issue

Windows compatibility list.

It's not compatible with Windows 8.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by blkbelt65 View Post
      Anyone know if you can install Access 97 on windows 8 64bit?

Client said he had done it but it has now stopped and anytime you try and open a database I get the error MS Acces cannot be started MS Access was unable to initialize the windows registry, tried re-running the installation but that will fail as well with Setup error says it can't access the off97pro.inf
      Access 97? Why?

You could possibly try running the exe in compatibility mode but I doubt it will help you.

Right click on the access exe file and click on troubleshoot compatibility and see what it comes up with.

Comment

Time for a virtual machine running an older OS -- XP might do it...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The issue with this client is that who ever setup the machine loaded Access 97 with no issues and now a couple weeks later it says it has to be reinstalled with the error message above. He does not want it in a VM as that was my initial thought.

He's just a grumpy client and at this point I've told him he needs to update or get a windows 7 machine as everyone else in the company that uses those same DB's are using 97 under windows 7 with no issues but of course the owner had to have windows 8 and now much of what he does has issues. Gotta love end users....

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X