No announcement yet.

Windows 8 Desktop

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Desktop

I see by reports from friends and IT News Windows 8 it a bit of a disaster, no wonder few are being sold and MS are forced to offer ver 8.1 for free soon. It seems the MS nerds in their wisdom decided as below to hide all the menus especially the all important START. Apparently some menus only show if like magic you drag the cursor off a corner of the screen. What a wonderful idea to help complete novices???? The Mac and Linux users with desktops full of helpful icons must be laughing their heads off!! It seems even new icons that do show with Win 8 vanish after awhile!! Thanks goodness I do not have it installed ------ I have enough trouble with Windows 7.

So can someone please tell me what does show on a default desktop, my elderly novice friend does somehow manage to send me emails, but can never find where my attachments disappear when he saves them! Perhaps unlike previous sensible versions of Windows because he has little control where attachments are saved.

Re: Windows 8 Desktop

IIRC the default DESKTOP (as opposed to TIFKAM) shows a recycle bin on the desktop, plus a file explorer icon on the taskbar. You can add other icons to the desktop by right clicking and "personalise" and apps will add their icons to the taskbar. You can also right click an icon in TIFKAM and select PIN TO TASKBAR -- doesn't work with metro apps, though.

Note there are a large number of start button replacements apps at a range of prices from 0.00 upwards

Saved attachments will, by default, go to the users "Documents" folder -- accessible via the explorer
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Hi, you can just download classic shell or pokki to bring back the windows start menu. I have used both and they make life a order of magnitude better on windows 8/server 12

Here is a google image search for both.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Thanks guys

I will pass it onto an old guy of 80 struggling with his laptop.