How to get rid of snap.do malware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of snap.do malware

So, apparently, I downloaded the snap.do malware. For those that aren't familiar with it. It's basically a program that forces you to use it's browser. Supposedly, it creates lots of problems by redirecting you to different sites and making you vulnerable to viruses and slowing down your computer.

Anyway, I looked up a lot of stuff online and it would appear that I successfully disabled it as it no longer redirects me. However, there still remains a program in the control panel that I cannot uninstall. When I try to uninstall it asks me if I'm sure I want to uninstall it. I click yes, and it says please wait while Windows reconfigures snap.do. Then it disappears. I've tried uninstalling it in safe mode as well, but I get a different message that says something like the Windows installer service cannot be accessed.

Anyway, I removed registry keys that appeared related to snap.do, deleted files related to snap.do, and ran Malware Bites and Spybot. Both Malware Bites and Spybot appeared to remove parts of the program, but apparently not permanently as everytime I run Spybot it always quarantines something from snap.do.

Admittedly, since the program is apparently inactive, I'm tempted to just ignore it, but I fear that the program may continue to come back and eventually become a problem again if I ignore it. I'm a little scared to do online banking as I would hate for this program to somehow get access to my banking info. I would appreciate any info someone can give me regarding how I can delete all traces of this malware. I would assume that at this point it's just a matter of deleting a few registry keys, but I'm not sure.

My computer is an Asus with an Intel Core i7 and I am running Windows 8.

Re: How to get rid of snap.do malware

Moved to Windows 8 forum for better response
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Use this forum:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/6-...c-is-infected/

Follow the instructions here *before* you post:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum-6/...o-this-thread/

Tell them what you have done so far and they will help you get rid of it.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Well, I did what they said to do on that forum. Unfortunately, that made my problem worse. My computer went from being symptom free to me not even being able to log onto Windows. It keeps on saying my password is incorrect. I've tried changing my hotmail password using my cellphone multiple times, but my computer still won't recognize it. Unfortunately, since it won't recognize my password I can't go into safe mode or perform a system restore. At this point I'm considering doing the refresh pc option or reset your pc option. This is a relatively new computer so I probably don't have anything too important on it. Though, I'm wondering if those options also require a password. I'm also worried that even after I do one of those that I still won't be able to log onto Windows without a password. Any advice?
        Last edited by Master Moron; 27th July 2013, 14:45.

Comment

Damn it. I tried refreshing my PC an it still won't let me in without a password! I don't understand why it's not recognizing my password. Is there any way to access these options without a password?

Comment

Have you posted there and said what has happened?

I have been a member of that forum for several years and have not come across anyone losing access to their system through losing a password.

Comment

Yeah, I followed their instructions exactly. Anyway, I went ahead and reset my system. Sucks to lose all my files, but it's a rather new computer anyway so it's not like I have anything important on there. All my music is on my iphone and I can just transfer to my computer.

Comment

I've just gone through your thread - SPD says it happens quite a lot! Crikey!

Get yourself an external hard drive and use it to back up your data on a regular basis. It is often quicker to wipe a system and restore the data than it is to troubleshoot it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  I've just gone through your thread - SPD says it happens quite a lot! Crikey!

Get yourself an external hard drive and use it to back up your data on a regular basis. It is often quicker to wipe a system and restore the data than it is to troubleshoot it.
                  Yeah, I did a google search on it and apparently the Microsoft password can just stop working for no good reason. I didn't find any real solutions to it either. Someone should warn people never to use their Microsoft password to log onto Windows. It seems like a pretty big defect if the password can just stop working and prevent you from doing anything other than resetting the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Moron View Post
                    Yeah, I did a google search on it and apparently the Microsoft password can just stop working for no good reason. I didn't find any real solutions to it either. Someone should warn people never to use their Microsoft password to log onto Windows. It seems like a pretty big defect if the password can just stop working and prevent you from doing anything other than resetting the system.
                    Thanks - that's a valuable piece of info.

Comment

Working...
                    X