Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8.1 Preview

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
    I haven't tried it yet but if you use a Microsoft account as your login, it should reapply your "metro style" app installs and settings automatically.
    I have mine on a test domain at home, so don't use that type of login. Not really using any of the "Metro" apps either. I was a bit surprised as it's supposed to be a service pack type release rather than a new install, albeit in preview form.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Is this "apps" (TIFKAM style) or real applications too?

What about user data?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well MS's FAQ says that when you upgrade Windows 8 or Windows RT you will keep "Windows settings, personal files, and most apps" and I also note that using a Microsoft account is a requirement for the preview.
        http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-8/preview-faq

Furthermore, I hear that you can't upgrade the 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM and a reinstall will be necessary.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Someone needs to explain the concept of "domains" and "active directory" to them, or do they assume no-one will be using Win8.x in a corporate environment

"Most Apps", indeed. A typical CYA answer from MS
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

"Most apps" is utter BS. Not one app remained after I upgraded, including Office 2013.

Some Windows settings remained, but very few, files in locations such as My Documents or Downloads remained and I wasn't asked for my LiveID at any point.

This current trend of forcing everyone to have a LiveID is really getting my goat. You can't activate Office 2013 without one, all of the TIFKAM apps want your LiveID and to "integrate" any previous profile settings, which is a major PITA when I have a business LiveID for my MCP account and don't want that integrated with my personal Skype account.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

*Removes 'Service Packs' from automatic approvals list in WSUS*

Thanks for the heads-up!

I agree about the live-id issue as well. Had a forum poster lose access to their computer because it failed to work properly.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Windows 8.1 updates

Does anyone know how my friends are supposed to be able to update their Windows 8 with the new version 8.1 available for free soon to the general public. I understand the software wiil be 2 to 3 Gb therefore far to large to download, even with fibre optic, but will as last permanently show the START button on the desktop.

Comment

Gordon,
                  2-3Gb is fine over most DSL connections, and over fibre will be a matter of minutes only.

Having said that, tell your friend to tread carefully and ensure 8.1 doesn't wipe out all their installed apps etc.

As far as the "start button" goes, it isn't really (button, but no menu)
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Hi, I have updated to 8.1 pro last week and I like it a bit more than 8. With windows 8 I used to use classic shell to speed up navigation.
                    With 8.1 I find everything a little more intuitive, it's still obvious that metro was designed for a tablet but when you're used to this screen/apps it can be quite useful.
                    It does feel like 60% windows 7 30% windows 8 and 10% windows 8.1, so it's not that much of a big leap to 8.
                    Attached Files
                    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I have a couple of elderly friends like me, both of whom say they have managed to download and install version 8.1 onto Windows 8. I see from previews it is now possible to see the all important START button shown on the usual Desktop, instead of the multicoloured boxes for Tablets.

I only have Windows 7 thanks goodness. So please exactly how do I tell my fiends like me not the least bit interested in Tablets, how to personalise 8.1 so only the Desktop displays on start up.

Thanks

Comment

Here's a link detailing the steps.
                        http://www.pcworld.com/article/20432...ndows-8-1.html
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

i don't like windows 8.
                          my pc is slow, i like linux lubuntu

Comment

thank you for your feedback,
                            Is there anything particular you don't like about 8.1 ?
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I am trying to activate Windows 8.1 Pro. Official activation key. It says to go to PC settings to do so. I click on PC settings and it takes me to the START Screen. I cannot get to the activation Screen

Upgrade to 8.1
                              I had the same issue but 8.1 seems a lot better

Seems Microsoft are trying to market the tablet PC approach
                              Last edited by tehcamel; 29th April 2014, 05:12. Reason: merged posts.

Comment

Not sure what you're getting at but you may want to try the command line to enter your new product key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2750773

Of course I could be misunderstanding what you're trying to say.
                                Regards,
                                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                                X