Windows 8.1 Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 Preview

Is now available for download and installation on Windows 8 PC's.

If you are running enterprise you do need an ISO which at this time is not available. It should be in the next few days.

More info here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/preview

More info on the changes can be read in this document

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=302189

As always this is pretty much a beta and should be treated as such. Do not install this on a production machine.

Re: Windows 8.1 Preview

Save your bandwidth. All the "Start" button does is take you to the same screen as Windows + X or is it Windows + I .

Microsoft should also do the right thing and give Boris P credit for the coding that he wrote for a part of Windows 8.1 . Hell, they even kept the name he gave the GPO.

M$ = NO MORALS!!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Microsoft listened to user feedback and, as requested by a large number of users, gave the start button back. If said users assumed (ass-u-me-d) the "start button" mean't the "start menu" as well, that is clearly the users fault

Anyway, they have to leave some enhancements for 8.2

Anyone want to start a rant about Technet?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
        Anyone want to start a rant about Technet?
        Am I being baited???
        USA TechNet, new US$349 renewal US$249
        OZ TechNet, new AUD$618 (US$568 ), renewal AUD$437(US$402)
        The prices were even worse when AUD$1 = US$1.08 (you guys do the math). Even with the offered 30% discount we still paid AUD$63 more for a renewal in OZ then in the US. Hell, it is even cheaper to renew in NZ or Papua New Guinea than it is in Australia.

Sorry, this is badly but you asked Tom.

I no longer have a TechNet subscription so Open Office is now used. Looking at replacing Windows 7 on my machines with a Linux flavour.

Micro$oft,
        BITE ME!!
        Last edited by biggles77; 4th July 2013, 13:01.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Am I being baited???
          USA TechNet, new US$349 renewal US$249
          OZ TechNet, new AUD$618 (US$568 ), renewal AUD$437(US$402)
          The prices were even worse when AUD$1 = US$1.08 (you guys do the math). Even with the offered 30% discount we still paid AUD$63 more for a renewal in OZ then in the US. Hell, it is even cheaper to renew in NZ or Papua New Guinea than it is in Australia.

Sorry, this is badly but you asked Tom.

I no longer have a TechNet subscription so Open Office is now used. Looking at replacing Windows 7 on my machines with a Linux flavour.

Micro$oft,
          BITE ME!!
          Means nothing anymore.

TechNet has been dropped.

Comment

So you haven't heard the news yet...
            MS are dropping technet as "no longer required" since you can get free evaluation versions of the latest products

[EDIT] Damn - beaten to it [/EDIT]
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

MS have made a 2 big mistakes. Overcharging no US subscribers and dropping it for Techs/IT Pros. One annoying part, I had a subscription since my first FREE one in 1999 and I never once used the 2 free support calls I got each year. Got all the help I needed right here.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I never once used the 2 free support calls I got each year. Got all the help I needed right here.
                Same here. Never had a problem that I deemed big enough to call MS on.

Comment

I also find it interesting that although Microsoft is quick to call the new button the "Start" button, it doesn't behave like the old one, so I think end-user confusion will still be a problem.

I just asked Petri readers this question in a recent email, and got a flood of responses about how this change still doesn't work for them.
                  -------------------------------------------------------
                  Jeff James
                  Editorial Director, Content and Community - www.petri.com
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffjames3
                  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffjames3

Comment

Yeah, it really isn't "Start Menu" in the way that most people will expect. Still, being able to boot straight to desktop helps.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                      Yeah, it really isn't "Start Menu" in the way that most people will expect. Still, being able to boot straight to desktop helps.
                      Agree 100%. Boot to desktop was the other big change that most readers wanted to see in Windows 8.1.
                      -------------------------------------------------------
                      Jeff James
                      Editorial Director, Content and Community - www.petri.com
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffjames3
                      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffjames3

Comment

They way they are going, it is going to get people to Boot to Apple or Boot to Linux. Dumb, just plain dumb.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

They way they are going, it is going to get people to Boot to Apple or Boot to Linux. Dumb, just plain dumb.
                          I actually don't mind it TBH.

Been using it as my main production machine since about 2 days after it came out and its been pretty rock solid for me.

Couple of little problems have arisen but nothing that is a show stopper.

It does however take some getting used to, and booting to "metro" hacks me right off but it really isn't that bad.

The move to allow booting to desktop right off should at least start to get the business market interested. The "Start" button is just a farce though. All it does it drop you back to "metro".

I actually commeneted to one of th guys the other day that the only thing I miss about Win 7 is the Recent Documents menu but there is a work around for this as well.

Comment

Just taken the plunge myself. Very annoying it doesn't tell you when you install it that all of your apps are wiped, including settings, so backup everything you need first.

Nice features so far are boot straight to desktop, and also Shutdown options have been added to the WinX menu which is a bit less clunky than before.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                              Just taken the plunge myself. Very annoying it doesn't tell you when you install it that all of your apps are wiped, including settings, so backup everything you need first.
                              I haven't tried it yet but if you use a Microsoft account as your login, it should reapply your "metro style" app installs and settings automatically.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X