Maximum connections to VM on Windows 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum connections to VM on Windows 8

My google-fu has failed me on this, so any answers / links would be appreciated.

WIndows 8 Pro has a concurrent connections limit of 20, but what about a virtual machine running on it.

Specific scenario:
    Win 8 Pro workstation, running Server 2008 VM with SharePoint 2010. Server is on an External network connection in HyperV, so presumably traffic goes direct to the workstations LAN card. Will more than 20 clients be able to connect to the SP site?
    (this is for a hands on demo type environment with 30-40 potential attendees)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Maximum connections to VM on Windows 8

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
    My google-fu has failed me on this, so any answers / links would be appreciated.

WIndows 8 Pro has a concurrent connections limit of 20, but what about a virtual machine running on it.

Specific scenario:
    Win 8 Pro workstation, running Server 2008 VM with SharePoint 2010. Server is on an External network connection in HyperV, so presumably traffic goes direct to the workstations LAN card. Will more than 20 clients be able to connect to the SP site?
    (this is for a hands on demo type environment with 30-40 potential attendees)
    If the machine gets its IP from a DHCP server using the physical NIC then I would presume that it would get 20 connections.

Comment

i guess you're not in a position to test it out ?

It is an interesting question!
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Can't test it till I go live, unfortunately.
        I've managed 8 concurrent connections but ran out of machines to connect up!

I would not expect the server to get less than 19 connections (assuming the host uses one) but since it is (AFAIK) a direct pass through to the workstation NiC I am wondering if the connection limit actually applies or if Win8 ignores the traffic coming through
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

im expecting, proposing, that it'll pass straight through - that's supopsed to be the point of virtualisation - it's a separate layer..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X